No Flavor Saison Questions

100% The yeast strain. I put your 90 F into C and it's 32ish C, which is pretty high, but well within range for the temp. I'm with @Bubba Wade, Bell is the best strain of Saison yeasts. I've used Mangrove Jacks, Fermentis, and Lallemand, and Lallemand is my personal favourite. We make a TON of these in summer here in Australia, and Bell has been by far my favourite!

100% The yeast strain. I put your 90 F into C and it's 32ish C, which is pretty high, but well within range for the temp. I'm with @Bubba Wade, Bell is the best strain of Saison yeasts. I've used Mangrove Jacks, Fermentis, and Lallemand, and Lallemand is my personal favourite. We make a TON of these in summer here in Australia, and Bell has been by far my favourite!
@CausticWolf I hate to go out on a limb and say that one particular strain is the best, but the Belle Saison does produce the flavor profile that I like best. Of course, others may have a different favorite.

I ferment this yeast at 70 F for about 4 days and bump it up a degree a day for another 5 days. This gives me what I consider to be a clean, but interesting Saison.

I'm not surprised that you didn't get any peppery and lemony notes from WY3711 even at that temperature. I have used Lallemand Belle Sasion for my last several saisons but from my research I'd expect WY3711 to produce what's consider by today's palate to be a very mild flavor profile. I ferment warm as well and almost always add a moderate amount of coriander and orange. Is it possible your tastes have changed? I am certain that mine have.

Back