Double Cold Crash?

Smash café

Trial Member
Reaction score
Hi again.

So after many months since my last brew due to moving house I brewed this:- (http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/r ... rtial-mash) last month. I cold crashed for 24 hours when transferring to secondary so I could harvest and wash the yeast for my next brew.
It should be ready to bottle now and I am considering cold crashing again to reduce sediment in the bottle. Is this advisable? any reason why I should / shouldn't do it? I assume there will be enough yeast left in suspension to bottle carb with 2 cold crashes, but willing to listen if someone wants to tell me otherwise.

in a keg with co2 I would advise it but in a bottle you might remove a lot of yeast that you need so I will leave this to the bottling experts

So I went ahead and gave a second 24h cold crash before bottling. I figure that if people cold crash for weeks and then still have yeast in suspension I should be fine.
I'll come back here in 3 weeks if the batch failed to carb, but if all is well I will continue with double cold crashing with yeast harvesting after primary fermentation until I can afford to start kegging

I'm pretty sure I've heard the only way to get yeast completely out of suspension is to filter it. I think you'll be fine.

Back