Blending (creating something unique)

DutchEwald

Trial Member
Reaction score
First you all, This is a collection of an amazing group of people!!!

a bit about me, (i'm cheap...could even afford the capitol I in i'm) :)

I also hate throwing things down the drain. (so long as it's not harmful to consume, Then that makes me wonder about other "critters" that consume it... :eek:) ANYWAYS.

Blending... Let's say I have a beer that is a bit "hoppy" or "funky" (sour) I know what I do, I create something that is not so much on the other side of things and blend it to something "interesting" and possibly enjoyable... Grandma taught me how to cook...they grew up poor (maybe that is where i get my "cheapness" from) ANYWAYS

I built a 3 tap keezer, I have a great beer on one tap and the other two taps I have beers that are drinkable but not great, but when mixed they become something unique interesting and fairly enjoyable. The downside is they would be nearly impossible to recreate.

I'm good with what I do...But I would really love to hear your thoughts on blending beers to create something?

Blending beers is sort of common. My favorite blend is actually two commercial beers. I fill a glass half full of a wheat beer, Raspberry, or Apricot are my favorites. I then layer Guiness on top of it. I use to use a bent spoon to do this, but now have unit that you put on top of the glass. The Guiness will sit on top of the wheat, and you get a little bit of each with every drink. It does eventually blend together.

As far as blending beer that I make. I haven't ever thought of doing it on purpose, but have done it by topping up a glass from the wrong tap...

I am quality over quantity. I will drink so so beer, but if it is a bad beer, I would dump it as opposed to compromising a really good beer.

I don't subscribe to:
Take some better butter, and add it to the bitter butter, to make the bitter butter better...

I've done this with a couple of things - mostly when kegs are getting towards empty but I need space for new full kegs. I once blended a partial keg of an IPA with a wit-style beer that was a good use of both beers and made a passable White IPA style.
I have a couple of sours (both unintentional) that I should have blended but canned separate instead. One is a barrel aged Pecan Porter that went off in the barrel but turned into a really interesting dark sour like a big-flavored red wine. The other is a fig farmhouse beer that's interesting but a little bland on its own.

I have a great beer on one tap and the other two taps I have beers that are drinkable but not great, but when mixed they become something unique interesting and fairly enjoyable.
What I often do is blend an American Lager with a a strong IPA to create a pale ale or blend a porter with American lager to make an amber beer. American lager blends really with other beer. If you don't brew it, you can grab a 6 pack of PBR and give it a try. I know a pro brewer who blends beer in a similar manner to increase the variety on his line up.

I think that is a very interesting idea. I don't brew often enough to have two simultaneous beers, much less something to counter an off flavor. What I have done is counter a severely under-carbonated beer with a cheap commercial lager. It doesn't turn it into a great beer but, does make it significantly better. Now that I understand the priming sugar calculator better, I haven't had to do this in a while.

First you all, This is a collection of an amazing group of people!!!

a bit about me, (i'm cheap...could even afford the capitol I in i'm) :)

I also hate throwing things down the drain. (so long as it's not harmful to consume, Then that makes me wonder about other "critters" that consume it... :eek:) ANYWAYS.

Blending... Let's say I have a beer that is a bit "hoppy" or "funky" (sour) I know what I do, I create something that is not so much on the other side of things and blend it to something "interesting" and possibly enjoyable... Grandma taught me how to cook...they grew up poor (maybe that is where i get my "cheapness" from) ANYWAYS

I built a 3 tap keezer, I have a great beer on one tap and the other two taps I have beers that are drinkable but not great, but when mixed they become something unique interesting and fairly enjoyable. The downside is they would be nearly impossible to recreate.

I'm good with what I do...But I would really love to hear your thoughts on blending beers to create something?
I like blending beers and as was pointed out have mixed with cheap lagers to take the edge off or carbonate. Recently we had a cherry Saison and a strong dry stout that went very well together. They made almost a cherry porter. It was super tasty. In my cellar is one of those "big Belgians" made with all but the kitchen sink and is so complex in the wrong ways it is unpalatable. With half a busch lite its very drinkable.
Had a porter with just a touch of sour but was bottled and slowly becoming volcanos so dumped it in plastic jugs and froze it. Made an interesting booze with the tart of the sour and all the alcohol. Blending is another facet of home brewing that you are only limited by your imagination. I never have brewed specifically intending to blend but dumping is a last resort to me. We are on #236 and have only dumped one batch, drinking vinegar is yucky.

Back