Dry Hopping Italian Pilsner

Brewer #335694

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I realize there wont be a black and white answer to this one...but maybe some advice is floating out there. I have an Italian Pilsner in the fermenter right now (first time making one). And I need to do a small dry hop at some point. When I am dry hopping ales, I have my timing down perfect as to when to insert the dry hops so they do their job and also aren't in there too long before packaging. But as most people know, using lager yeast is a way slower fermentation. If anyone makes these beers, when do you typically dry hop? I am having a hard time trying to figure out when to dry hop so they don't end up being in there for weeks. It's already been a week since brewing it up. And fermentation seems to still be chugging along (gravity reading wasn't even at half where it needs to be). I am assuming it'll be another 2 weeks easily. Thanks.

No expert here but I would wait until you are approx 2 - 3 point from your final gravity then dry hop. There are other factors that I'm sure others will bring about like type of hop, amount you plan to dry hop with and the end product you are trying to achieve.

Just curious, what is it that would make a Pilsner Italian?
Would be the Maltalino's, or the Hoparino's?

What makes a pilsner Italian? The red grapes. Why? :rolleyes:

I'm not sure why a Pilsner would be Italian or how it might differ from the tradition German or Czech Pilsner but dry-hopping is not part of the formula with any Pilsner. Bittering hops and a small flavor addition is all the hops you need. And they should be noble hops and not any of the hops normally associated with dry-hopped ales.

To the OP, I wish I could help but this is not a style I have any experience with. Man I would love to get my hands on a Tipopils though. For anyone interested in the “Italian Pilsner” style, this is a pretty great read.

https://www.craftbeer.com/craft-bee...ed-an-american-crop-of-italian-style-pilsners
So there you go! It is a "thing"!
My apologies to the original poster. I was trying to make light of the Italian Pilsner, I meant no disrespect.

This is how I would answer your question.

I would add the dry hop charge toward the end of fermentation. Theory being that the Co2 produced would push out any O2 that my ingress when adding the hops. Having said that, even once fermentation is done, I wouldn't be too co concerned about O2 ingress with a small hop addition.

I realize there wont be a black and white answer to this one...but maybe some advice is floating out there. I have an Italian Pilsner in the fermenter right now (first time making one). And I need to do a small dry hop at some point. When I am dry hopping ales, I have my timing down perfect as to when to insert the dry hops so they do their job and also aren't in there too long before packaging. But as most people know, using lager yeast is a way slower fermentation. If anyone makes these beers, when do you typically dry hop? I am having a hard time trying to figure out when to dry hop so they don't end up being in there for weeks. It's already been a week since brewing it up. And fermentation seems to still be chugging along (gravity reading wasn't even at half where it needs to be). I am assuming it'll be another 2 weeks easily. Thanks.
It likely wasn't dry hopped, at least the original recipe. Noble hops don't do well as dry hops, they tend to grassy flavors.

So there you go! It is a "thing"!
My apologies to the original poster. I was trying to make light of the Italian Pilsner, I meant no disrespect.

This is how I would answer your question.

I would add the dry hop charge toward the end of fermentation. Theory being that the Co2 produced would push out any O2 that my ingress when adding the hops. Having said that, even once fermentation is done, I wouldn't be too co concerned about O2 ingress with a small hop addition.

no offense taken. That was funny.

Back