iSPindel - broadcasts once then stops?

Beer Foundry

Premium Member
Reaction score
I was taken by the idea of making my own one of these tilty wifi hydrometers when I realised the kit of parts was available with instructions on Ebay for just £30. It's been a great distraction on a lockdown Sunday and I've got it working, although not calibrated yet.

I can see the live readout of angle and temperature using the browser interface and I can set up the Ubidots account to send the data. The ubidots page then shows a data point, but no more. If I reboot the iSpindel it then sends another datapoint to Ubidots but once again, no more. I've tried sending frequencies of 20 seconds and 60 seconds.

I installed firmware version 6.4.1 as that was the latest one. Could this be the problem (too new)? Anyone had something similar?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, i can't be much help, but 60 seconds seems a little too frequent. Something like 20 minutes is already quite fast. Maybe slow it down a bit?

@Donoroto - it was just for testing, as suggested in the set up guide. In action I agree something like hourly would be perfectly sufficient.

At the moment though, I am still stuck with just one upload per reboot. I've just downgraded the firmware to an older version (6.2) and still getting the same problem. I'll keep trying different things but any suggestions from co-sufferers would be welcome.

Just in case someone else finds this thread, here is a link to the issues page on GitHub where I have commented on my trials to get it working: https://github.com/universam1/iSpindel/issues/59

At present the most likely cause is either a faulty diode or a faulty Wemos board. Both are relatively cheap so I will get replacements and let you all know what the outcome is in case anyone else is trying to set one of these up and has the same problems.

Having got this far I've done quite a bit of fault finding and research so if anyone else has any problems then please contact and we can compare notes; I might be able to save you some time!

Back