How are all your hops doing that you're growing?

I took out my columbus from last year and planted centennial. They started coming up but something is eating them. It isn't deer cause I have a 6 ft fence. Any ideas? I thought animals didn't like hops.
Well that bites!:p
Rabbits, voles, pocket gophers. Look for scat. Can't picture birds eating them. Deer are not supposed to like em but they taste lower leaves from time to time. May need to put up small enclosures til ya figure it out.

2020-04-26 19.04.01.jpg
Deer are not supposed to like em but they taste lower leaves from time to time.

I grow centennial and the deer and rabbits eat everything here but they never eat the hops. (yet) The Whitetail deer walk up on the front stoop and eat out of the planters here.

I took out my columbus from last year and planted centennial. They started coming up but something is eating them. It isn't deer cause I have a 6 ft fence. Any ideas? I thought animals didn't like hops.

Young shoots! Yummy stuff for a rabbit or maybe a chipmunk....got some pix?

They ate the leaves and left a single stem barely sticking out of the ground and left the leaves laying nearby. Whatever it was has now left them alone. It lasted for about 3 days, but things seem ok now. What is weird is I have tomatoes and other vegetables starting to grow nearby and they were not touched. A neighbor reported a single jackrabbit in the area a couple weeks ago. Not sure it was him, but hopefully they will be good now. Thanks.

They got as tall as me so I took a selfie with my buds!
Weird, it wont accept my selfie. A guy could take that to heart:(.

Last edited:
This is my first year growing a hop plant.
My step son tells me that hops are susceptible to disease, and bug infestations.
My plant is so far looking perfectly healthy.
Any advise on how to keep it that way Headfirst?

Also, based on how high they grow, I am thinking I should transplant it to a different location.
Should I do this now, or can I wait until next spring?
(I need to build something for it to grow on at the other location, no time for that at present)

They seem to be pretty hardy compared to other garden plants, so I wouldn't worry about disease too much if they have good nutrition. On moving them it depends on how well established the roots are. If you just planted them and you can move the whole root ball you might get away with doing it now. In either case you should have low expectations for this year. If it were my garden I would provide as much support this year and move them in the spring. They don't necessarily need high vertical support. Some angled strings would work too for this year.

They seem to be pretty hardy compared to other garden plants, so I wouldn't worry about disease too much if they have good nutrition. On moving them it depends on how well established the roots are. If you just planted them and you can move the whole root ball you might get away with doing it now. In either case you should have low expectations for this year. If it were my garden I would provide as much support this year and move them in the spring. They don't necessarily need high vertical support. Some angled strings would work too for this year.
Thanks 4B!

What he said. If you want to learn more on growing them just ask the goog. The info is just like brewing info, you need to sort through it.
Some varieties are susceptible to powdery mildew, some are bread for resistance. MY first year mine got up about 5 feet before the deer. Founded them and they ate all the lower leaves so no p mildew as it gets on leaves from splashing the soil. You will have aphids. No getting around it. The fda has a set standard on how many are allowed per oz or something. (Wierd thought huh) Some people use a mild soap spray but mine have never been to bad so I just wash them with a shower type nozzle a couple times a week. In general if you can grow anything you can grow hops but as stated don't expect to much the first couple of years.
I would transplant after vines have died off or clipped off in late fall. Very early spring would work too.
And first year or 2 keep main vines to 4 so they will be healthier and form more roots and better bines.

What he said. If you want to learn more on growing them just ask the goog. The info is just like brewing info, you need to sort through it.
Some varieties are susceptible to powdery mildew, some are bread for resistance. MY first year mine got up about 5 feet before the deer. Founded them and they ate all the lower leaves so no p mildew as it gets on leaves from splashing the soil. You will have aphids. No getting around it. The fda has a set standard on how many are allowed per oz or something. (Wierd thought huh) Some people use a mild soap spray but mine have never been to bad so I just wash them with a shower type nozzle a couple times a week. In general if you can grow anything you can grow hops but as stated don't expect to much the first couple of years.
I would transplant after vines have died off or clipped off in late fall. Very early spring would work too.
And first year or 2 keep main vines to 4 so they will be healthier and form more roots and better bines.
Thanks, appreciate the tips!
I have done a bit of GOOG searching, but as we all know the thing about that is anybody can put anything up there, right or wrong.

I second the issues powdery mildew or some other forms of soil born stuff like that. I mulch early and then after the bines are established trim off the lower leaves. Ensure you remove and dispose of any diseased leaves or bines. They will infect the other bines or plants. Also good airflow helps. They need quite a bit of water and feeding, but you have already looked that up. I'm growing them in amended heavy clay soil at 47 degrees North mid continent with a Southern exposure. A few years ago one plant got a bit stunted by early extreme cold with no snow when i didn't cover them.

I train 2 or 3 bines per string with two strings per crown. Then after they get established trim off the other emerging bines.

I built a simple Oast, that uses furnace filters and a box fan. I'll look for some photos of that, works a treat.

This is new. I have 10 plants and 8 of them are doing fine. Two of them on opposite ends of the garden look like this. Any ideas?
hops.jpg

Underground Insects, Lack of nitrogen? Try fertilizer and water. Doesn't look like mildew.

Mine look like this now even after a few 24F degree nights
20200516_151502.jpg
:

This is new. I have 10 plants and 8 of them are doing fine. Two of them on opposite ends of the garden look like this. Any ideas?View attachment 10107
Looks near on death try pulling back the mulch a bit.
Remember you can kill some plants with kindness but I've found hops are like weeds hard to kill and even grow here in sub tropics.

Best to let it die Nothing worse than nurturing a weak plant along think it's not going to produce much which is why your growing it in the first place...

Looks like frost or the wrong stuff got on them...any chance of a dog lifting their leg on them??

Thank you. I'll go with frost and/or dog. We had a couple mid 30s night a couple weeks ago and I have a 12 lb dog.

20200605_181548.jpg

ITS A GERANIUM INVASION!
Hope the hops can hold there own. Sure is taking a lot of training this year.
Coming along nicely!
One root, 2 main chutes.
The mystery variety!
View attachment 10321
For first year? those look great. They will cover the fence and the neighbors yard soon.

Back