Craigerrr's new 10 Gallon 3v System

Thanks!
Added a whirlpool port in the BK before today's brew, worked like a charm!
IMG_20191004_1158281.jpg

IMG_20191004_1718307.jpg

A bit of a ghetto mash recirc, have a port to add for that as well, but need to figure out some kind of do it yourself diffuser. That is a Betty Crocker Pizza sheet, nestled in there nicely
IMG_20191004_1238070.jpg

IMG_20191004_1238173.jpg

I like the squeezidge on the sparge.hose with clamp real brewers best material :). Nice looking trub cone man!

So here is the schematic I have been working on for a while, thoughts or comments?
I already have two pumps, really just need to get some more valves, hose, and camlock fittings to set this up. Colored lines for flow path for each step, blue is liquor, brown is beer.

Step 1 - Mash In.JPG

Step 2 - Recirc Mash.JPG

Step 4 - Drain First Runnings to BK.JPG

Step 9 - Chill.JPG

Step 10 - Fill Fermenters.JPG

Best of luck! I gave up on all the pumps and connections a couple years ago and life is so much easier for me (and the wife).

Little update, added switches for pumps. Still just using one pump until I get the rest of the valves I need.

My last two brews I have been a couple points over on gravity, and I have hit my fermenter volumes pretty close. At the same time I have been leaving at least a couple quarts/liters behind in the mash tun. Last batch was a BIPA, so it didn't make sense to save the extra wort for starters. Thinking about adding a bottom port to capture all of the wort and dialing my system in better. Also thinking about increasing my batch size a bit so I am potentially brewing a bit more beer than I can fit into to kegs per batch. I would rather leave a bit behind in the fermenters than come up short.

Am I making sense?

I leave a bunch myself but at the end of brewing I collect it and find alot of solids, so it's fine and it helps keep my beer clear, I just add it to my waste in settings

My last two brews I have been a couple points over on gravity, and I have hit my fermenter volumes pretty close. At the same time I have been leaving at least a couple quarts/liters behind in the mash tun. Last batch was a BIPA, so it didn't make sense to save the extra wort for starters. Thinking about adding a bottom port to capture all of the wort and dialing my system in better. Also thinking about increasing my batch size a bit so I am potentially brewing a bit more beer than I can fit into to kegs per batch. I would rather leave a bit behind in the fermenters than come up short.

Am I making sense?
Or you could just top up the fermentors or kegs with pre-boiled water instead of scaling your recipes.
1 less hole to drill and valve to clean.
Brian

I have about a 2qt dead space in bottom of my MT 10gal kettle so when it is close to the last of wort I just tip it a bit which leaves only a cup or 2. Keggles do the same depending on how your draw is set up. Do the same with boil kettle but i don't pump finished wort, just gravity feed to fermenter.

I have about a 2qt dead space in bottom of my MT 10gal kettle so when it is close to the last of wort I just tip it a bit which leaves only a cup or 2. Keggles do the same depending on how your draw is set up. Do the same with boil kettle but i don't pump finished wort, just gravity feed to fermenter.
Thanks, hey, could I trouble you to post a picture, or pictures of your setup? The avatar picture is pretty grainy, I would like to have a closer look at your setup.

20200329_101810.jpg

Here ya go. For a controller for RIMS tube i have an old mashmate 1600 built back in the 90's. Note the dials for temp control. The RIMS tube is just stainless pipe parts with a ss camden hot water tank 5000w 240v element run at 120v and recirculated with the pump to hold or raise temp. Can raise temp in 10gal mash about 5 degrees f in about 10 min. Either keggle can be hlt or bk then can drain with a hose and gravity directly into fermenter.
20200329_104830.jpg

Inside bk is just a 90deg elbow turned down with a ss scratcher under it. I use a lot of whole hops and with scratcher in place hops help form a filter bed to filter trub. Pellets have to go in a bag or this plugs up.
I was building up up up (note the unused 3way valve above the pump) and the fun was left behind so simplified things and can hold consistency much easier. And more time to test brews and less time doing dishes. When finished brewing i recirculate near boiling water, drain, recirculate some saniclean, drain and walk away after scrubing mt and bk.

Back