Mash Chemistry and brewing water for calculator for BIAB

Brewer #117310

Trial Member
Reaction score
Capture.JPG

Howdy:
Just wondering what I have to put for 'Mash Water' in this instance as I'm doing BIAB. Would it be left at 0 or would the total mash volume be divvied up between 'Mash' and 'Sparge' ie: 3.8 each?

If you're doing no-sparge BIAB, you have things set up correctly. If you're sparging and using differently treated water for the sparge, you need to enter some value in the sparge water section. If you're using the same water and treatments for both, it doesn't matter, as long as the sum of the two is the amount of water you need. Clear as mud, right? Here's my take:

I generally treat mash water only with salts - lowers the amount of salts I need overall. I acidify both mash water and sparge water to ensure mash pH of 5.3-5.6, generally around 5.4, and no tannin extraction. So I enter values for both mash and sparge water and make sure that I'm adding salts only to the mash. If you're not sparging, you'll add salts and acid to the entire volume.

If you're doing no-sparge BIAB, you have things set up correctly. If you're sparging and using differently treated water for the sparge, you need to enter some value in the sparge water section. If you're using the same water and treatments for both, it doesn't matter, as long as the sum of the two is the amount of water you need. Clear as mud, right? Here's my take:

I generally treat mash water only with salts - lowers the amount of salts I need overall. I acidify both mash water and sparge water to ensure mash pH of 5.3-5.6, generally around 5.4, and no tannin extraction. So I enter values for both mash and sparge water and make sure that I'm adding salts only to the mash. If you're not sparging, you'll add salts and acid to the entire volume.

Thanks!

If you are doing a full volume mash, and that is your entire water requirement, then you have a bingo. If you are mashing with are mashing with 6.6, and saving 1.0 for sparge then adjust your volumes to suit.

Ok, another question for this thread:

Are the amounts I am able to add under 'Salt Additions' for each gallon of water or for the entire Mash Water Volume?
ie: I have 1.75 g of Calcium Chloride(0.4 tsp). Would this be 1.75 g added per every gallon of Mash Water or 1.75 g for the total Volume?
*I should specify my Water Source is listed as ppm.*

Last edited:

Back