Strike water volume

BitterBrewer

Trial Member
Reaction score
Can I change the calculation in equipment profiles for Strike Water Volume as shown in the Brew Steps? Mine is showing 0.66 gallons of strike water for 7 pounds of grain. That's a thick mash!

That doesn't seem right at all. Can you link the recipe and provide a screenshot for your equipment profile so we can look into this?

My equipment profile shows:
upload_2020-2-21_6-48-34.png

I created a copy of the recipe so that I could test some changes and results. That copied recipe shows:
upload_2020-2-21_6-49-55.png

So it appears that despite the default value in the equipment profile, I need to overwrite the recipe's Starting Mash Thickness. I missed this upon writing the original recipe, but will check and change this from now on, knowing that the default doesn't carry over to a New Recipe.

Keeping the recipe's thickness at 1.5 qt/lb, the Brew Steps show:
upload_2020-2-21_6-53-57.png

for:
upload_2020-2-21_6-57-0.png

Recipe link:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/952198/citra-saison-copy-

My equipment profile shows:
View attachment 8831
I created a copy of the recipe so that I could test some changes and results. That copied recipe shows:
View attachment 8832
So it appears that despite the default value in the equipment profile, I need to overwrite the recipe's Starting Mash Thickness. I missed this upon writing the original recipe, but will check and change this from now on, knowing that the default doesn't carry over to a New Recipe.

Keeping the recipe's thickness at 1.5 qt/lb, the Brew Steps show:
View attachment 8833
for:
View attachment 8834

Recipe link:
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/952198/citra-saison-copy-
Thanks for reaching out, I'm going to investigate and find out where the breakdown is. The recipe editor should definitely be using the default thickness.

For the brew steps, are you referring to the brew session brew logs, or somewhere else?

Nevermind, in the recipe editor it looks like your base malt needs to be checked for "mashed". This updates it closer to correct, at 2.36 gallons but there's still an issue with flaked and adjunct grains not being included in the quick water requirements calculation. I submitted this bug a bit ago when I discovered it, but I'll tag this thread in there as well and followup with the status.

Thanks for reaching out, I'm going to investigate and find out where the breakdown is. The recipe editor should definitely be using the default thickness.

For the brew steps, are you referring to the brew session brew logs, or somewhere else?
Yes, the Brew Session.

If I understand, when I add Inventory, I need to select the checkbox "Needs to be mashed".
Is this correct?
Correct, setting it in inventory should have it set in any recipes created using that ingredient.

You can also change the setting on a per recipe basis in the editor with the "mashed" checkbox.

Okay. I see that I need to update my inventory to mark the checkbox for "mash". I will do that now.

As an all-grain brewer, I can't think of very many Fermentables that would not be included in the mash. I would think that the inverse would be more intuitive: To have Fermentables default to be included in the mash, with an option to mark Fermentables to NOT be included in the mash.

Thoughts?

Okay. I see that I need to update my inventory to mark the checkbox for "mash". I will do that now.

As an all-grain brewer, I can't think of very many Fermentables that would not be included in the mash. I would think that the inverse would be more intuitive: To have Fermentables default to be included in the mash, with an option to mark Fermentables to NOT be included in the mash.

Thoughts?

Honey, candi sugar, grains that are added (steeped) after the mash, pumpkin, etc and not mashed. I’m not sure changing the default behavior would be appreciated by the extract/partial mash brewers. We’ll think about this, and see what we come up with.

Remember that only custom fermentables need this entered, as it’s already done on the ones in the database.

I've changed all of my Fermentable inventory to "Mash", went back into the recipe, and in the Brew Session, the Brew Steps show the same amount of Strike Water Volume of 0.56 gallons.

Where in the Edit Recipe page would I mark "mash" or "not mash"? Is that the Late Addition checkbox?
upload_2020-2-21_13-27-55.png

Maybe delete and re-enter your malts.
Also, just curious, the malts shown above are pretty standard fare, wondering why you wouldn't just use malts that are already in the BF dbase? No need to reinvent the wheel so to speak.

Honey, candi sugar, grains that are added (steeped) after the mash, pumpkin, etc and not mashed. I’m not sure changing the default behavior would be appreciated by the extract/partial mash brewers. We’ll think about this, and see what we come up with.

Remember that only custom fermentables need this entered, as it’s already done on the ones in the database.
I think we could do both, and make it a default behavior for all category="grain" ingredients to have mash on by default. Should eliminate most issues of this type without disrupting users. If you think that works too, then let me know and I can submit a request for it.

I would try what @Craigerrr suggests, removing and reading the ingredients. Otherwise try using default ingredients and not inventory to confirm that's the issue.

Using the default ingredients, I see a 10 point drop in OG and the strike water volume increases to 2.36 gallons. My target strike water volume is 3.2 gallons.

Using the default ingredients, I see a 10 point drop in OG and the strike water volume increases to 2.36 gallons. My target strike water volume is 3.2 gallons.
The OG should only change if the ingredients have a different PPG.

You're using 1.5 qt/lb right? If so, for 7 lbs that equals 7*1.5 / 4 = 2.625 gallons.

3.2 gallons would be 3.2*4/7= 2 qt/lb thickness.

This is what I think it should look like,

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/edit/952452

I created my own inventory because I wanted to track my on-hand ingredients. But I was not able to locate ingredients in the default inventory.
For example: I just tried to add a new inventory item. I found Rahr. I did not find 2-row. So that is why I created my own.
I'm using 1.83 qts/lb.
I can't access your link.
BTW, I brewed this recipe yesterday and was only 1 point off of target OG.

I created my own inventory because I wanted to track my on-hand ingredients. But I was not able to locate ingredients in the default inventory.
For example: I just tried to add a new inventory item. I found Rahr. I did not find 2-row. So that is why I created my own.
I'm using 1.83 qts/lb.
I can't access your link.
BTW, I brewed this recipe yesterday and was only 1 point off of target OG.

Do you maybe not have Rahr allowed in your brands in your set up? I just clicked “Rahr”, and here is a screenshot of the partial list I see:
0BA4D1E1-9552-41DC-BD6B-01C10F42DA80.jpeg

Make sure that the brands you use are turned on in your settings. Go to your profile, click brands:
8A2C2AF7-93D3-4D46-B6ED-62D9E6EAD07C.jpeg

And then slide the slider to allow the brands you want to see:

E7494ADA-7F7B-46EB-BB11-C074E4CA5BFE.jpeg

We don’t have every malt in there, as there are way too many to keep up with, but we have quite a few and that can be helpful if you’re adding inventory and ingredients when you just have to pull it in and not enter everything.

Back