Snapshots vs. Actual Recipes

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The behavior of the check box where we can select to show snapshots still seems weird. Checked, it shows me only snapshots, unchecked it shows both the snapshots and the original recipes. This is not the behavior I'd expect, I'd expect that unchecking it would not show snapshots in the results listing.

Nothing vital, just a rock-in-the-shoe kind of problem.

I hardly brew snapshots once again I'm not quite sure I understand their use is it to brew a variation of a recipie without changing the parent recipie.

I hardly brew snapshots once again I'm not quite sure I understand their use is it to brew a variation of a recipie without changing the parent recipie.
It's so if you do a variation, you can record it without changing the parent recipe (I think). I generally don't brew snapshots either, although I generally make one so that if I vary, I can record it - case in point, last Gose brew, I subbed in Spelt for Wheat Malt and wanted to record the specific pale malt I used, so I modded the snapshot to reflect the changes.

I'll often change a recipe while I'm drinking it. I'll use the previous snapshot to check how any changes worked and maybe roll some changes back or add different changes. I'm fussy and hardly ever brew to style so 90% of my recipes are constantly evolving.

Likewise. And I make changes on the fly.

Glad to see we're on the same page, I submitted a request to the developers around New year's for the same behavior. The request was approved by the owners and devs, and I just checked in if there's any status update or timeline on when it'll be available for testing.

The two possible solutions we discussed were having two checkbox's for snapshots and base recipes, or a drop-down for all three combinations.

Snapshots,
Base
Snapshots + base.

Once I get an update I'll communicate it here!

Snapshots are so very useful when tweaking a recipe. You can preserve the master recipe and make changes in the snapshots. Then if you like a particular change you can update the master copy. They also help to keep recipe notes tied to that exact recipe. I had a recipe where the notes referred to an ingredient that was no longer in the recipe. Another recipe mentioned reducing the amount of a grain but, I couldn't remember whether I had already reduced the amount in the recipe.

Glad to see we're on the same page, I submitted a request to the developers around New year's for the same behavior. The request was approved by the owners and devs, and I just checked in if there's any status update or timeline on when it'll be available for testing.

The two possible solutions we discussed were having two checkbox's for snapshots and base recipes, or a drop-down for all three combinations.

Snapshots,
Base
Snapshots + base.

Once I get an update I'll communicate it here!
Dropdown covers all the bases, looks like the best option to me.

Snapshots are so very useful when tweaking a recipe. You can preserve the master recipe and make changes in the snapshots. Then if you like a particular change you can update the master copy. They also help to keep recipe notes tied to that exact recipe. I had a recipe where the notes referred to an ingredient that was no longer in the recipe. Another recipe mentioned reducing the amount of a grain but, I couldn't remember whether I had already reduced the amount in the recipe.
Thanks I'll try this in future I've been just changing the parent recipie but can see how over multiple changes to a "brew" which one you liked most and which changes where made to what recipie becomes quite confusing then add alcohol :D!

Dropdown covers all the bases, looks like the best option to me.
Agree with this. The original way it was in adding the snapshots to your viewing or not worked fine. Was kinda wondering why it was messed with. Not on purpose, I can assume.

Agree with this. The original way it was in adding the snapshots to your viewing or not worked fine. Was kinda wondering why it was messed with. Not on purpose, I can assume.

No idea on when or why it changed, I just noticed that the behavior was not as expected. But with the QA process now, I'll do my best to ensure any such changes meet customer expectations.

Back