Ingredient fix

Mark Farrall

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I actually think I'm the one that added this to the public register, so it's probably my fault, but could someone fix up a few problems with https://www.brewersfriend.com/fermentables/joe-white-raw-wheat/. The most important one is to remove the diastatic power value as it's unmalted wheat. And while you're in there the country should be Australian and it's raw, not an acidulated malt. Thanks.

Maybe a the ppg higher too maybe?
Probably. I've taken to grinding them separately and boiling for about 10 minutes before adding to the mash which seems to get the extraction closer to the theoretical number. But with just a single infusion mash it's probably going to struggle for that number to make sense.

Probably. I've taken to grinding them separately and boiling for about 10 minutes before adding to the mash which seems to get the extraction closer to the theoretical number. But with just a single infusion mash it's probably going to struggle for that number to make sense.
Why don't we post the gelatinization temperature? I believe it's in the low 140's Fahrenheit for raw wheat, meaning any reasonable mash temperature would gelatinize it. Oh, a shorter boil would work - it's essentially just Cream of Wheat.

Why don't we post the gelatinization temperature? I believe it's in the low 140's Fahrenheit for raw wheat, meaning any reasonable mash temperature would gelatinize it. Oh, a shorter boil would work - it's essentially just Cream of Wheat.
It's breed dependent (or so I read). Many are in standard sacch rest temperature ranges, but some breeds are higher. So I tried out the advice to boil it and then add it to the mash. Got much better extraction than I usually do for this product.

The recommendation was 15 minutes. That seemed too long when I was doing it, so I cut it to 10. The 'cream of corn' phrase makes sense, I could probably stop the boil as soon as it becomes the creamy, porridge like consistency. I'd expect that's the outward sign of the protein gelatinising.

Back