Bread Thread!

Ah that sux @Mase
Not to gloat but I didn't knead this loaf once I did the stretch and fold technique or more truly the "coil fold" similar to stretch and fold but as the "Foodgeek" found it yeilded a better spring which I can attest to in this loaf!
20200202_094702.jpg

Google foodgeek sourdough for some info

Here's loaf #2. Resembles a loose stool buffalo turd.
View attachment 8665

Not to one up any body.....just remember, looks aren't everything!

20200201_204644.jpeg

I'm sure a pale mash would have produced a less doggy doo looking pretzel but boy did these guys have flavor! I never realized how much salt these things had in them even before you put salt on the outside! I went old school with some plan old Frenches Yellow Mustard and what was left in the glass of Founders Porter.

Last edited:
Not to one up any body.....just remember, looks aren't everything!

View attachment 8666

I'm sure a pale mash would have produces a less doggy doo looking pretzel but boy did these guys have flavor! I never realized how much salt these things had in them even before you put salt on the outside! I went old school with some plan old Frenches Yellow Mustard and what was left in the glass of Founders Porter.
:eek:
I just can't stop laughing at them turd pretzels :D :p. Was the first bite a bit tentative.
Good stuff taking the spent mash to the next level.

Was the first bite a bit tentative.

LOL....NO!! They smelled right! ;)

Actually, I thought they were going to be hard given the color and that I put my trust in my experience with baking with mash; (bake longer and add more yeast)

Good stuff taking the spent mash to the next level.

Waste not... Want not!

Since the dough and the method is a lot like a bagel, I had one for breakfast this morning with salmon, cream cheese, onion and a slice of tomato.

Since the dough and the method is a lot like a bagel, I had one for breakfast this morning with salmon, cream cheese, onion and a slice of tomato.

Please tell me that was a nice thin slice of tomato, because that sandwhich sounds so delicious.

Well I thought the same thing about the oven light... unfortunately LED lights in the oven don’t yield any heat. o_O Will come up with something over the week.

and what did you put between the bread slices?

D’oh!

I guess I don’t need the light bulb to “Proof” the bread in the oven. o_O

EEAA50A5-BCBD-43DE-8041-F65429899970.jpeg

Hahaha! Do you know how high that gets? Might be good for your starter also.
I tested it out and for an hour an it maintained 90 (f), so that’ll be perfect for the sourdoughs that can take 3 hours each proof. I actually stared at the button for a few seconds in disbelief as I’ve been racking my brain coming up with a temperature solution.

I tested it out and for an hour an it maintained 90 (f), so that’ll be perfect for the sourdoughs that can take 3 hours each proof. I actually stared at the button for a few seconds in disbelief as I’ve been racking my brain coming up with a temperature solution.
I can totally relate.

I put the proofing feature of my oven to good use today for a loaf of multigrain bread and a couple pizza doughs.
Homemade pizza pie for dinner tonight!

It's the 8th day for my starter and still no action. Thinking of starting over using distilled water and Lactic acid to kick it off at about pH 4.0. Using natural whole wheat flour, so there shouldn't be a shortage of critters. Never had a problem getting starters going until we moved here and thinking it's gotta be the water.

Not necessarily bad. ABTs are very tasty. A new combination. Atomic Buffalo Turds and Loose Stool Buffalo Turd bread. Might pair well with a crap beer like Buttwiper:)
Ha ha bloody hilarious!:D

My starter finally took off the way it should yesterday, which was day 8. I did a 50/50 split ap and wheat flour and started putting it in the oven with the light on for just a bit more heat. Mine is easily doubling in size now between my feedings which are every 12 hours. I'll make it nice and strong this week and shoot for baking this coming weekend.
IMG_20200204_0517171.jpg

So for reference, that is 454g from a 75g bit of starter @12 hours. So after feeding the 75g flour and water (227g) or 8oz, it's up to 16 oz this morning.

Last edited:
Just took a peek. Getting some bubbles, a little expansion and it's beginning to have a yeasty smell. Think It's finally waking up. Used RO water for last nights feeding instead of our highly alkaline tap water, filtered of course. Not sure if that made any difference, but will stick with it until I get the viability built up.
Starter.jpg

Just out of curiosity, what temperature are you guys keeping your starters at?

Back