Temp control for SSbrewtech chronical 7 gal

Delmarr2265

Trial Member
Reaction score
Trying to figure out best way to manage fermentation temp for the 7 gallon Chronical.
Have looked at their Ffts colling system but not thrilled with having to change out ice often an glycol is not in my budget. Considering a glass front refrigerator that I could controll with my inkbird but with the chronical needing 40 in in internal height I'm way over budget. Looking for a $300 solution.

Thoughts

If you have a basement with low temps, you could go at it from the opposite direction by heating from a colder ambient environment than cooling from a warmer ambient environment. And I have been using the Fermwrap from Morebeer (careful if counterfeits, so I suggest Morebeer), for 3 years connected to an Inkbird to keep the temps UP where I want them as my basement is 58 (f) year round. It’s seems like it’s easier to heat than it is to cool when it comes to homebrewing. Otherwise, Other than a temp controlled pump in a cooler, not sure you have many options.

Thanks for the reply. I was trying to avoid the basement as my xmas system upgrade is just to pretty to be setup in my nasty basement :)
And when my wife said I should just build a brewery in the den I got excited. Seems my hope's may have been a bit premature

Attachments

• IMG_20200128_191631.jpg
    IMG_20200128_191631.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 125
I use the FST with my Ss Brewtech fermenter. I have a 5 cu ft freezer converted to a keezer. At one end of the keezer are the kegs and at the other end is a chilled water reservoir. Double duty from the inexpensive keezer.

IMG_20200202_125100.jpg IMG_20200202_125043.jpg IMG_20200202_125018.jpg

/\ /\ now that’s a nifty idea @Bubba Wade ! Cheers to that. “Necessity is the mother of invention” as it were and I like the creativity our brewing family has/shares.

Great idea. Would you mind sharing how you set up the chilling portion.

Great idea. Would you mind sharing how you set up the chilling portion.
Pretty simple. I used Schedule 10 PVC drain pipe. I have it configured so that I pump out of one side and return to the other. You can use other vessels depending on the amount of available space in the keezer.

Pretty simple. I used Schedule 10 PVC drain pipe. I have it configured so that I pump out of one side and return to the other. You can use other vessels depending on the amount of available space in the keezer.
You know I had thought of something similar and posted it somewhere on the forums if something like this would be possible and well Bubba you not only thought it but proved it all in one!

My thoughts were a tub down the bottom of the freezer with a submersible pump in it. I'm guessing you add glycol to the water too to prevent it freezing?
The new Fermzillas have a glycol cooling coil as an added option twas this that spawned the thought.
Top Stuff!

I had a 7 gallon SS conical for a really long time before I used it. It was a very nice gift, but I didn't know how I wanted to use it. I couldn’t control temp and it was too tall to fit into my keezer. So I cut the legs off so the bottom of the cone was an inch above the legs and used a 1.5" cap to plug he bottom, now at least it fits into the keezer. I welded corny posts to the cover and use a floating pickup to transfer beer out of it. I pressurize it and transfer the beer into a keg.

Actually I kind of wrecked the thing for anyone else. It's not really used as a conical, but I never really saw conicals as a useful tool for homebrewers. But it fits in my keezer and makes a nice little fermenter, for me at least.

My thoughts were a tub down the bottom of the freezer with a submersible pump in it. I'm guessing you add glycol to the water too to prevent it freezing?!

No, I just use tap water. The keezer is set for 36 deg F, so freezing is not an issue.

I configured my reservoir as a “U”. If you use 4” PVC, it holds about a half gallons per foot of length. I like the “U” because I pull out of one side and return to the other.

I own both the 7 and 14 gal SS Brewtech Chronical. I use the FTSs chiller with tap water (with a splash of iodophor as a sanitizer) in a 40 quart cooler. I swap out 1 gal frozen plastic water jugs to maintain enough delta to keep the temp in range for my ale brewing (62 - 72 degrees F). You can usually get through the first 48 hours or so before you need to swap jugs. Later in the week (when fermentation is slowing), you can get 72 hours. My brew room runs 68 - 74 degrees year round. The system will easily take you to 50 - 52 degrees or so for lager styles (I've taken it to 45 degrees) but I have not tried to actually make a lager. I assume you would be changing out the ice jugs way more often than is needed for ale temp fermenting. I like my ales. I love my Chronicals and the FTFs chiller.

All that said, my brew room is set up similar to Bubba Wade's based upon the pics he posted. I've thought of plumbing a small water reservoir into my keezer and getting rid of the ice jug in cooler method. Totally dig the PVC "U-Tank" design!!

My brew room runs 68 - 74 degrees year round.

I started off with the circulation through the cooler. By my brew room is in the garage in Louisiana. 30's-50's in the winter and 90's (and sometimes 100's) in the summer. Plus I travel a fair amount for work and am not always there to change the ice out.

For heat, I have a second controller and wrap an 18 watt seedling heater around the fermenter, between the body and the neoprene jacket. I set the heating controller 2 degrees cooler than the heating controller. In the winter here, we can often have days in the 70's and nights in the 30's. As you can see from the blue line, it holds temperature to a pretty narrow range even with large ambient temperature fluctuation.

temperature.JPG

Back