Bread Thread!

I'm honestly not much into bread, but the family sure is. If it's not attached to the pizza I make periodically, I don't hardly touch the stuff. Today is day 3, so I'm thinking sometime over the weekend maybe? If the starter isn't ready, I may do a yeast batch just to get into the swing of things.

Here's what I've used to bake in not quite a Dutch Oven it was enamel coated lol it's a bit beaten up but I tell ya it's done all sorts of cooking:)

20200129_054959.jpg

Mine's an ugly black iron 6 qt. and is just right for a nice loaf of artisan bread. Not afraid to put it on the grill for a pot of beans either.

I’m an ex-hunter. Lost the desire and would rather shoot them with a camera, than a weapon. But that’s just me, and I can see both sides of the topic.
By the way, that’s two nice lookin loaves!

Thank you for your candor...and the compliment. ..while I don't hunt myself, I am a big supporter of the harvest. Like a good beer recipe. ...it all about balance!

I used pineapple juice to start rather than our highly alkaline water. Today is day 3, and the first day using filtered water, disposing of part of the existing mass and adding twice the flour & liquid as on the first 2 days. According to the starter recipe, it'll probably be 3 or 4 days of the same procedure as today before there's much in the line of action.
The last 2 or 3 starters I attempted grew mold in this time frame. This one has no signs of mold, so I'm optimistic.

Just ordered my 6qt Lodge Brand enameled cast iron For delivery this coming Friday. Sour dough starter is ready, so will be baking Saturday.

I got mine already this afternoon. You'll love it. Beautiful piece for sure.
Just got mine delivered today (along with another novel to read) and it’s fantastic. Definitely heavy duty. Had to dig into the garbage to get the little black rubber tabs to use to keep the lid and pot sellers red while in storage. Yeast starter was fed around 5:00pm and hope to be making sourdough bread tomorrow. Will def post pics.

I purchased the book Flour Water Salt Yeast, and making a yeast bread today just to get in the game.
View attachment 8658

looking good @thunderwagn

We made up the sourdough, kneaded and let it set for three hours, knocked it back down and allowing another 3 hours. I’m a little concerned that the sourdough starter was not quite ready as there’s not much rising happening. But we’ll see. If it doesn’t work this weekend, I’ll continue building the sourdough starter and try again next weekend.

Last edited:
looking good @thunderwagn

We made up the sourdough, kneaded and let it set for three hours, knocked it back down and allowing another 3 hours. I’m a little concerned that the sourdough starter was not quite ready as there’s not much riding happening. But we’ll see. If it doesn’t work this weekend, I’ll continue building the sourdough starter and try again next weekend.
Yeah, mine wasn't ready yet. The starter took off great on day three and hasn't been as active since which I've read is typical. The "good" yeast is building up and taking over. On my 3rd day of feeding 2x a day. Tomorrow should be my last and at this point, I'll probably have to stick it in the fridge and shoot for next weekend.
Have fun making yours today. Can't wait to hear and see how it turns out!

Yeah, mine wasn't ready yet. The starter took off great on day three and hasn't been as active since which I've read is typical. The "good" yeast is building up and taking over. On my 3rd day of feeding 2x a day. Tomorrow should be my last and at this point, I'll probably have to stick it in the fridge and shoot for next weekend.
Have fun making yours today. Can't wait to hear and see how it turns out!
If you look back at the link I put at start of this thread it'll be PH the Lacto don't settle into the starter untill the ph settles around 4.5 these farty bacteria Leuconostoc and others take hold first create a lot of gas makes you think yay it's working they create a bit of acid in their process then things go quite for awhile.

These bacteria will pave the way for the Lacto sour dough loving bacteria to settle in.

My starter for last two days has had what looked like a yeast raft on top and didn't smell as sour. It's a live organism plays to it's own beat I suppose just gotta try and understand it:confused::)

My hats off to you sir! That look fantastic and delicious. So what’s going between the slices tonight?

... well.... the first attempt at sourdough bread didn’t go well. Actually, it never really even got started. We did the initial kneading and let it sit for three hours to rise, and at the end of three hours we kneaded for the second/last time. It never rose (what’s the past tense for rise?), so it went to the bin. A couple notes for next attempt; the first being that I don’t think the starter was ready, and I think we need to come up with a heating solution. We keep our house around 66-68 degrees year round. Those temps aren’t conducive to a good fermentation. But onward and upward, the starter was fed again and hoping that by next weekend we can try again, and with a warmer proofing environment as well.

Last edited:
My hats off to you sir! That look fantastic and delicious. So what’s going between the slices tonight?

... well.... the first attempt at sourdough bread didn’t go well. Actually, it never really even got started. We did the initial kneading and let it sit for three hours to rise, and at the end of three hours we kneaded for the second/last time. It never rose (what’s the past tense for rise?), so it went to the bin. A couple notes for next attempt; the first being that I don’t think the starter was ready, and I think we need to come up with a heating solution. We keep our house around 66-68 degrees year round. Those temps aren’t conducive to a good fermentation. But onward and upward, the starter was fed again and hoping that by next weekend we can try again, and with a warmer proofing environment as well.
Ah bummer! We keep our house 68 tops also so I started putting my starter in the oven with the light on. I can finally see a difference in action today. At least I think I can lol o_O this is all new territory for me.

Ah bummer! We keep our house 68 tops also so I started putting my starter in the oven with the light on. I can finally see a difference in action today. At least I think I can lol o_O this is all new territory for me.
Well I thought the same thing about the oven light... unfortunately LED lights in the oven don’t yield any heat. o_O Will come up with something over the week.

and what did you put between the bread slices?

Well I thought the same thing about the oven light... unfortunately LED lights in the oven don’t yield any heat. o_O Will come up with something over the week.

and what did you put between the bread slices?
I think everyone just did butter. I did an end piece with some olive oil and salt. I've heard some talk of grill cheese tonight. We have another round that will hopefully make it through the night.

Back