When do I dump trub/yeast from catalyst?

Saltlifebrewer

Trial Member
Reaction score
I just brewed my first batch of American Light from a kit from Brewers Best. I am using the catalyst system for fermentation and have read many different suggestions on when to drain the Mason jar collection of trub. I have read that once you do the CB that you pour it into the catalyst, wait 20 mins for trub to settle into Mason jar then dump it before pitching? I also read that you need a little bit of the trub in the fermentation process for the yeast to utilize bit not excessive amounts?
What I did was waited for 4 days and then drained my first jar of gunk from the catalyst. It was very sticky and mud like. I cleaned and sanitized the jar and put it back on. There is more stuff, I assume yeast, that has accumulated in the jar now. Fermentation is over as I get about a bubble a minute from the airlock, I am guessing. Was curious how often to dump the mason jars from the catalyst and should I leave that part alone. I am a novice as stated and would appreciate any advice from experienced users of catalyst systems? Thanks

The primary reason to dump the trub is if you are wanting to harvest yeast for re-use. Some brewers harvest yeast, but a lot of brewers just buy a new packet for every batch.

I ferment in a conical fermenter without a dump. I put all of the wort in the fermenter while the wort is hot and cool in the fermenter. The trub drops to the bottom while I cool the wort. After fermentation starts, yeast drop out and cover the trub. I rack into the keg off the top.

There are a lot of articles telling you that dumping the trub will improve the beer and others telling you that it does not matter. Try it a couple of different ways and see if you can tell any difference.

As for the yeast harvesting, I used to do that but decided it was better to just buy new yeast every batch. You may have a higher level of patience than I do and decide to harvest yeast. If you do, read up on it. Again there are a lot of opinions and different conclusions floating around.

I would think the dumping some of the trub before adding yeast is the way to go. Once yeast has been added just wait until fermentation is complete (usually 3 weeks or so for an ale*). Too little trub will impact fermentation but, too much trub won't. So there isn't really any need to dump trub as soon as possible. You would have to leave beer on the yeast cake (trub + yeast) for months before it would become a problem.

* Three weeks then bottling is **my** method when fermenting an normal strength ale. To be sure you should use a hydrometer to measure Specific Gravity (SG). Three consecutive days with no drop in SG means fermentation is over. While fermentation may have slowed after four days, I'm sure it has not finished. Bubbles in the airlock are simply an indication of an active fermentation, but not whether there is fermentation going on.

Also, think about this: If you're not harvesting yeast, dumping the trub makes volume for beer that will not make it out the spigot when you drain it. Best I can tell from reading and experience, trub is benign when it comes to the finished beer. If you are dumping trub, dump it early, once the trub has settled out. At that point, your yeast will be in suspension. Then harvest the mostly clean yeast from a second "dump" that you can make after the yeast has settled and you've drained the fermentor. Dumping costs you beer so I'd only do it if I had a good reason.

Honestly, I've accounted and made adjustments for the loss in the collection chamber of my conical, but I've never dumped it lol. Kind of a pain and can be messy and doesn't seem to bother anything so I leave it and take what yeast I want when I transfer the beer to keg. It's really brewers choice. No right or wrong.

The primary reason to dump the trub is if you are wanting to harvest yeast for re-use. Some brewers harvest yeast, but a lot of brewers just buy a new packet for every batch.

I ferment in a conical fermenter without a dump. I put all of the wort in the fermenter while the wort is hot and cool in the fermenter. The trub drops to the bottom while I cool the wort. After fermentation starts, yeast drop out and cover the trub. I rack into the keg off the top.

There are a lot of articles telling you that dumping the trub will improve the beer and others telling you that it does not matter. Try it a couple of different ways and see if you can tell any difference.

As for the yeast harvesting, I used to do that but decided it was better to just buy new yeast every batch. You may have a higher level of patience than I do and decide to harvest yeast. If you do, read up on it. Again there are a lot of opinions and different conclusions floating around.

Thanks I left the second jar alone and will dump prior to bottling. I'll try different ways in the future unless this first batch turns out good. Thanks for advice!

I would think the dumping some of the trub before adding yeast is the way to go. Once yeast has been added just wait until fermentation is complete (usually 3 weeks or so for an ale*). Too little trub will impact fermentation but, too much trub won't. So there isn't really any need to dump trub as soon as possible. You would have to leave beer on the yeast cake (trub + yeast) for months before it would become a problem.

* Three weeks then bottling is **my** method when fermenting an normal strength ale. To be sure you should use a hydrometer to measure Specific Gravity (SG). Three consecutive days with no drop in SG means fermentation is over. While fermentation may have slowed after four days, I'm sure it has not finished. Bubbles in the airlock are simply an indication of an active fermentation, but not whether there is fermentation going on.

Honestly, I've accounted and made adjustments for the loss in the collection chamber of my conical, but I've never dumped it lol. Kind of a pain and can be messy and doesn't seem to bother anything so I leave it and take what yeast I want when I transfer the beer to keg. It's really brewers choice. No right or wrong.

Back