Mashing with Lemons

Megary

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Reading the latest Craft Beer magazine, there is an interesting article about a brewery in Santa Fe that cuts up whole lemons and adds them to the mash for their Gose. The short version is that they get a lot of fruit character (but not over-the-top lemon flavor) out of the lemons as opposed to the one dimensional tartness of lactic acid.

Anyone ever try mashing with lemons? Sounds like a nice idea for a summer beer.

I checked the software, but while Citric Acid is listed, there is no option for lemon juice under "Other Ingredients". I'm not sure if the two would be a 1:1 swap. Best I can find is that the pH of lemon juice is between 2-3. I don't believe Citric Acid would be that strong though I don't know how Brewer's Friend treats citric.

Thoughts?

Reading the latest Craft Beer magazine, there is an interesting article about a brewery in Santa Fe that cuts up whole lemons and adds them to the mash for their Gose. The short version is that they get a lot of fruit character (but not over-the-top lemon flavor) out of the lemons as opposed to the one dimensional tartness of lactic acid.

Anyone ever try mashing with lemons? Sounds like a nice idea for a summer beer.

I checked the software, but while Citric Acid is listed, there is no option for lemon juice under "Other Ingredients". I'm not sure if the two would be a 1:1 swap. Best I can find is that the pH of lemon juice is between 2-3. I don't believe Citric Acid would be that strong though I don't know how Brewer's Friend treats citric.

Thoughts?
John Rowley from Rowley Farmhouse Ales by chance? If so, there's two great episodes on the Sour Hour with him. Great podcasts. Episodes 115 and 116. I'm almost certain I remember talking about a lemon gose.

John Rowley from Rowley Farmhouse Ales by chance? If so, there's two great episodes on the Sour Hour with him. Great podcasts. Episodes 115 and 116. I'm almost certain I remember talking about a lemon gose.
Yep. That would be the guy. I’ll have to find those podcasts. Thanks.

Sounds interesting. The other thing I love to add a bit of complexity very easily to a kettle sour is a dry hop. Mosaic works well. May try a Citra/Lemon Drop based on this idea.

I'd be keeping a PH meter handy there is no say not calculating that ph measurement :).
A great idea though. I've got a kafir lime tree that I'm looking at incorporating into a lager or wheat style beer maybe mashing is a better Approach when I've herd just one leaf is enough:rolleyes:

Back