English IPA

Reaction score
Hey all, I recently started experimenting with Beersmith software trying out different services but was still hoping to get some feedback on a new English Wintertime IPA I'm excited about!
Screen Shot 2020-01-29 at 12.55.38 PM.png

On first glance, I would say that you need to dial the 60 minute hops down a bit. While the IPA should have some bitterness, this looks a bit high. You might try running the recipe with only 1 oz. of Nugget at 60 minutes. This should put your final IBU around 58. Still a respectable bitterness for an IPA.

On first glance, I would say that you need to dial the 60 minute hops down a bit. While the IPA should have some bitterness, this looks a bit high. You might try running the recipe with only 1 oz. of Nugget at 60 minutes. This should put your final IBU around 58. Still a respectable bitterness for an IPA.
Thanks!

I agree with @Bubba Wade. While that bitterness ratio is reasonable for an American IPA, it's pretty high for an English IPA. Balancing the OG and IBU sliders below the ingredients list in BeerSmith will produce a beer that's within style guidelines. I also agree with @Ozarks Mountain Brew that for specific tips on using BeerSmith, their forums would be the best source.

That said, there's really no reason to stay within the guidelines unless you're planning on entering the beer into competition. If it's your first experience with the style, though, I would recommend trying at least one of the examples listed under the BJCP Style Guidelines to determine if you like the balance or feel you'd enjoy the beer if it was either more or less bitter.

Here are the examples listed for this style: Freeminer Trafalgar IPA, Fuller's Bengal Lancer IPA, Meantime India Pale Ale, Ridgeway IPA, Summit True Brit IPA, Thornbridge Jaipur, Worthington White Shield
If you can't find any of the examples, you might try looking at multiple recipes to see what the consensus is on bittering levels for the style.

I agree with @Bubba Wade. While that bitterness ratio is reasonable for an American IPA, it's pretty high for an English IPA. Balancing the OG and IBU sliders below the ingredients list in BeerSmith will produce a beer that's within style guidelines. I also agree with @Ozarks Mountain Brew that for specific tips on using BeerSmith, their forums would be the best source.

That said, there's really no reason to stay within the guidelines unless you're planning on entering the beer into competition. If it's your first experience with the style, though, I would recommend trying at least one of the examples listed under the BJCP Style Guidelines to determine if you like the balance or feel you'd enjoy the beer if it was either more or less bitter.

Here are the examples listed for this style: Freeminer Trafalgar IPA, Fuller's Bengal Lancer IPA, Meantime India Pale Ale, Ridgeway IPA, Summit True Brit IPA, Thornbridge Jaipur, Worthington White Shield
If you can't find any of the examples, you might try looking at multiple recipes to see what the consensus is on bittering levels for the style.
Thanks for your guys tips! I adjusted the IBUs down to 65 but have been in a big phase of loving and drinking a lot of English IPAs and ESBs and enjoying the english malt character while wishing for a more assertive bitterness to create a more balanced but still bitter IPA than I'm used to with the purely hop clobbering American 2row or pils-malt IPAs. I thought I'd try to brew what I've been looking to drink and hope it will work out especially with those particular hops.

Thanks for your guys tips! I adjusted the IBUs down to 65 but have been in a big phase of loving and drinking a lot of English IPAs and ESBs and enjoying the english malt character while wishing for a more assertive bitterness to create a more balanced but still bitter IPA than I'm used to with the purely hop clobbering American 2row or pils-malt IPAs. I thought I'd try to brew what I've been looking to drink and hope it will work out especially with those particular hops.

Brew for you. If you want more bitterness and/or hop presence, it's your beer. Didn't know if you were familiar with the style or not.

Back