More Brewing Catastrophes

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Couldn't find the old "you know you did it wrong when..." thread so I'm starting a new one.

While I was brewing yesterday I decided to fill in the dead time cleaning bottles and dumping beer that had passed its stale date. I had just taken a couple of outdated bombers off the shelf and was walking away when I heard the most horrible crash! The shelf I had taken the beers from had collapsed into the next shelf down, several bottles were shattered on the floor, glass everywhere. And my beer wasn't finished!

Fortunately the shop vac sucked up most of the beer and the smaller bits of shattered glass. Everything cleaned up, I could see that the shelf brackets had failed (the little plastic ones stuck into the holes of factory-made furniture). I'll replace them with metallic ones and reshelf the beers that survived. The beer I was brewing, a Helles, is in the fridge, the mess mostly cleaned up and all is well.

Just have to fix the shelves.

Once I had a "domino day" moment with freshly cleaned bottles. You can't imagine the chaos

Sorry to hear that. It sucks to lose some beer but at least no one got hurt.

I have a shelf that is holding a lot of grain that I store in huge Mason Jars. Going to change the plastic clips out tomorrow. So thanks for sharing.

Good call. It was the plastic supports that failed. Today I could see the sides of the unit, a cheap pressboard bookcase repurposed to hold my beer, were bulging out. Time to replace it.

Lucky it all didn't unfold while you were in there!
Beer can be replaced rebrewed and renewed.

Sorry to hear about your avalanche catastrophe.
Mine was a result of my own inattention to the Fermenter Temperature. 1st 2 days hit 70F & finished beer has considerable Acetal flavor.
So now I'm considering my options.
Is there a way I can remove the Acetal bitty taste or am I drinking 5 gallons of sour gummies?

Sorry to hear about your avalanche catastrophe.
Mine was a result of my own inattention to the Fermenter Temperature. 1st 2 days hit 70F & finished beer has considerable Acetal flavor.
So now I'm considering my options.
Is there a way I can remove the Acetal bitty taste or am I drinking 5 gallons of sour gummies?
I don't understand "acetal" - are you referring to acetaldehyde (green apple), acetic (vinegar) or acidic (tartness, think sweet-tarts)? 70 degrees in the first two days could have produced excessive esters (fruity, think Jolly Rancher versions of fruit flavors) but shouldn't have produced excessive acid.

I don't understand "acetal" - are you referring to acetaldehyde (green apple), acetic (vinegar) or acidic (tartness, think sweet-tarts)? 70 degrees in the first two days could have produced excessive esters (fruity, think Jolly Rancher versions of fruit flavors) but shouldn't have produced excessive acid.
Thanks for the come back.
Um, the guys at Brew Hut used that term, or maybe I misheard. The taste is a sharp sensation on the tip & back of the tongue. Sweet tarts is probably the closest description.

I answered based on "diacetyl" on the other thread. Acidic, maybe, but the description on the other thread points me more toward diacetyl, or buttery flavor.

Hmmm, not buttery at all. A sharp, maybe Sweet Tarts kinda but not sweet.
I was moving the recipe from 1 SS to another & managed to transpose the starting & ending temps for the Fermenter. Start at 70 for 2 days & lower to 55 until TSG. Except that was backwards.
I would like to not repeat this & if possible, fix the batch in the fridge. If not I'll drink it.
Thanx again.

Hmmm, not buttery at all. A sharp, maybe Sweet Tarts kinda but not sweet.
I was moving the recipe from 1 SS to another & managed to transpose the starting & ending temps for the Fermenter. Start at 70 for 2 days & lower to 55 until TSG. Except that was backwards.
I would like to not repeat this & if possible, fix the batch in the fridge. If not I'll drink it.
Thanx again.
I wish I could taste the beer (which is hypothetically possible) before making too many more comments. Note it's possible to have both diacetyl and acid production if your beer is infected. The "sharp on the tip and back of the tongue" thing is reminding me more of fusel alcohol. If you indeed have all three, the batch is most likely infected and a dumper. The gang at the Brew Hut are pretty good, I'd trust their palates.

Back