Bread Thread!

If you have deer nearby, they’ll gladly take it off your hands. :)

Hmmmmm...When's Bow season in PA again?? Yeah, don't get me started on bambi said the guy 3 deer strikes to his car...OK...back on topic......

20200126_182233.jpeg

Hmmmmm...When's Bow season in PA again?? Yeah, don't get me started on bambi said the guy 3 deer strikes to his car...OK...back on topic......

View attachment 8617
I’m an ex-hunter. Lost the desire and would rather shoot them with a camera, than a weapon. But that’s just me, and I can see both sides of the topic.
By the way, that’s two nice lookin loaves!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/w8wkgRsB93wTk92Q7

250 Grams whole wheat
750 Grams unbleached bread flour
21 Grams kosher salt
720 Grams water
150 Grams starter

This is the dough ball after the 2nd fold.
One more fold and then a cool 8 hour rise.
I'm going to do 1/2 of the batch in the Dutch oven and the other 1/2 in loafs.
Almost wiped out my starter!
Cheers,
Brian

I'd still be shooting game if it weren't for the fact that I can't shoulder a rifle or shot gun against my prosthetic shoulder implant. Tried switching to shooting left handed, but couldn't hit an elephant in the ass from 20 yards. I will say that I'm doing well left handed with my .40 caliber Glock model 22. Much easier since a 2 handed grip works about the same either way.

Just to put any non hunters at ease, I never killed an animal for any reason other than tradition and the meat. I have no trophy heads on my walls. I do kill lots of fish though. Errr, well, a few fish :) Most of them end up in the smoker.

How long did you keep the lid on the Dutch oven, and assuming you didn’t add water to the trays, was/is there a crust difference between the two (Dutch oven vs open air)?

How long did you keep the lid on the Dutch oven, and assuming you didn’t add water to the trays, was/is there a crust difference between the two (Dutch oven vs open air)?
Dutch oven lid was on for 30 minutes.
The loaf pans were covered with foil for the same time.
The cookie sheets most certainly evened out the crust, but I think the temperature needs to go back up now to 350°.
They look great but I want them a little darker on the crust.
And no burnt Bum!
FAqWcpxGz8ZeIlOuuK8gnTtCAjMO4tS3Ugghm4-55DhAZ0wJoQGusc6bq0aPqmyygAFRidGuALfWnQjmZmdr3nHBzOsAiCwgqA1J_zCxszcl54obBbv9LLZa4z8E9a5Zz8WLE7ctd4j_JIURlNvpLjmM9lqIHJ6YZmCNdbhLvIQrXUylQd3ebruBb18eKeZywcUZXrqK7TQKyZPvuiD7FVdnR0ghpMa4zM26QSPTw7HJO_NAyZwZ9xFyHDFYFMz1lcaLYiyhMJlvloPiXy_3SXlxiShWlFJuLQWdRppT-ouM_y1Lj6QsmPTUK75uz9SRaOo0EHDdlf3yG2xmRcE8Wkrur_aGVE_5-Mt9Cy_LjqfSepwDwZHx3Q4KlNUyYGAHl0hFaM2KjOhNQrkq3RKkGuvzbeUvYM3Yk75R26kDGHuU7Xqo9ASF12bkoXZr6AfYRs4ZT-ImebM22ExoD-DE67HCpCGEdlk1HA5nu8cGA7m6tBOyte3sSsONA_Cr-cCmARa5FbkqKcBqteKp67wt_yoYJ2BNQIY9X5nLLnW1U2NchsjJQJF_JIDCUFvebfQ6NunDdHghr_Qm1nJjNB4OSnWqTbq6JtuDc0VbFGR7UTLKx79GldsuGMP7fpEpK1gbIXGLqLcgXTDidGqEfHvnmAo2Hoi0xdkX6cU2fpFzJYyf5UfkVfpa4hk=w456-h608-no
4_mGKlU-SZuR54AdcbsPEf4v7mJWQUKxzX3jUA-XXxL0xo43ZJ2jD1LvVHE3TXeA1R2ul6c30h5pTM13QrPj1-W5Uk7oKznFHUOCjHVNKTMlaBnQpEgWfgs7TsD0fYLIFGB7VkRtWJr8VpssISPDkvedUbujQnF0hUfXwFeThKWhiuDXLMPHJMFoRvXT1IdrXVgNetzBV8wvWtLQxbBs_3BJmpxdzzreCalPJKYr54p8urn7fa1JN7-iuR2UcOsrOKYG8DoPgUfkM_OkVvkWWxO9lFRfNHdzChagTi7SsZ3wLYA9aiZ6xAVrQ9EB1GGJ03HZ7YhxcCszJtd8TdB7ZE22fk6wFQ-lO5rqYNL6AM5Ni8VXxw4V4-xo9TT-IAr-0a7kS-lBwvlV48o8kl9Z2GTBc9WR3ZQDNrh7mlOlxhqAeeCiFpIDioAYrAt60eVYcwWI_yBEhC7qMiEueTtEUQsHvaH1cZcnTLiOUt53AiurjJQCGxI8-syeiiyfKR745B9lDFHsAFpFFWztUeO5HwhdIFtZhNHT2nF8t_okXIIUJ22Z1CYLAn8UaCoTEvxGcv90YlHbxVk5PNIwi6iPZY4b1gd7XxvZY4VkVke73oIVR4KKbde1Ycy_MIK3b2ITKdtYyBPNoR_dejkI9xy1llNymqyDEzZSnHB5Ymu5IMFqLWSFe2H-Vmw=w456-h608-no

If your looking for sourdough bread experimentation this guy seems to really geek out on it.

Last edited:
Looking for a Dutch oven on Amazon for bread. Anyone have one in particular they'd recommend?

I like cast iron but have an aluminum one from World Market that works fine as well. I think my cast iron one was from Lodge.

Lodge makes some of the best cast iron cookware.

Looking for a Dutch oven on Amazon for bread. Anyone have one in particular they'd recommend?
Cast iron or enameled cast iron? I did a little research on “Dutch Ovens” and found a couple helpful tips along the way for choosing one and it seems they prefer an enameled cast iron Dutch oven over a conventional one and a light colored enamel on the inside for better visibility. Take that with a grain of salt for your purchase, but after this coming weekends sourdough bread baking, I’ll pick one of those up for the next time. But haven’t quite locked in on the exact brand/size yet.

Sourdough starter update: started day 7 and it smells great and has a nice consistency to it. I’d add a photo, but I just fed it, so it wouldn’t be that impressive.

looking to make this one:
Will bake for 30 minutes at 400, with the lid on the clay Dutch oven for the first 10-15 minutes before removing the lid.
  • 800 grams of strong flour
  • 460 grams of water
  • 10 grams of salt
  • 320 grams of starter

Last edited:
I've got a Lodge cast iron one but I'm thinking it's to big. Plus I usually use it on the smoker so I'm not really thinking I want those flavors carrying over to the bread.
@Mase I'm thinking more along the lines of enameled like you. Just not sure on the size.

Back