Bread Thread!

I've read a little about it, but I think I'd stick with the starter I have going even though it wouldn't technically be 100%.
I'm not worrying about a super small percentage of wheat in this as I'm not intolerant in any way
I read that the Rye starter doesn’t rise as much and yields a more dense bread.

I thought you had a starter going. What next on your agenda

Just doing a simple white sourdough bread. Hopefully the starter is ready by Saturday morning so I can ramp it up for a Sunday bake (along with a brewday of a Belgian Dubbel).

Day 3 and she’s really starting to take off. A little slower to start as the storage place is in an outside wall and this a little cooler (65ish)

3DFA44DA-4750-43F9-BFA3-022DED97E699.jpeg

I've done rye/white flour breads not straight but i remember them being as you said mase more dense and heavy.

I'd start off with let's say a 10% rye to white flour mix or wholegrain mix.

Also I'm sure you've gotta feed your starter a similar mix to what your going to bake before hand to get it used to it.

These sourdough bakers have different starters for different bread mixes.

These sourdough bakers have different starters for different bread mixes.
Yeah, and I’m not planing on feeding two or three starters or even refrigerating that many I guess you could spin up one for a specific bread, and just use it one time, but seems such a waste not to maintain the colony.

Proof while at work 8hours ~View attachment 8564
Then shaped and sat bum up into the proofing bowl lined with floured tea towel (four it well it sux when it sticks!) View attachment 8565 I put this in a plastic bag and left it for two hours.
Baked in Webber Q stone and Dutch oven base in place pre heated full gas temp got to 200c
Cooked base covered 25min then uncovered 25min (recon can go longer for darker crust next time).
Here it tis fresh out the umm BBQo_O:).View attachment 8563
So hot atm so there was no way I was firing the oven inside today.
I used the alfoil on the grill to difuse the heat so I don't end up with a chard bread bum. Worked a treat actually next loaf I'll leave the foil out as the base was least cooked.
I baked with touch oven base on the stone looks like the bread rose until it filled out the shape of the Dutch oven base lol.
View attachment 8566
Nice! Your pictures look great. New camera?

Picked up some whole wheat flour and made up the beginnings of a starter with it and pineapple juice. Since I was in the kitchen, made up a batch of Jalapeño Pickled Eggs. Both should be ready to try out in about a week. Thanks for the links to the starter papers @Trialben.
No worries mate.

Baked secon loaf today.
Same mix as previous but upped moisture to 70%.
Baked in Webber on pre heated stone but without alfoil under trivet.
Baked it in a pyrex bowl instead of Dutch oven it won't entirely fit whilst on trivet in the Q.
20200126_154936.jpg

Baked 25 covered
27 uncovered
Webber sitting about 210~220c
Burnt bum just a tad.
Look At that Crumb! Nice big fat air bubbles nice a soft and Moorish.
This goes great with butter and honey
Mmmm mmm

Oh for those wondering what a Pyrex bowl is this is what I'm talking about.
20200126_161806.jpg

Its got a lid that sits and seals the top pretty much resembles the bottom but shallower. So I proofed the dough in this bottom section lined with floured tea towel. When your ready to bake get the lid pop it on top then flip the whole thing over. Remove the floured tea towel carefully. Then pop this in the oven with the bottom section now on top it will trap in the steam for the first half of the bake then remove the lid for the final half of the bake.
Clear as mud...

Last edited:
Nice. I cheat and bake mine in the oven :)
Yeah bloody oath I will too when it hits winter here I don't wanna heat the house up any more than it needs to be ATM it's that hot I recon your feet Sweat atm lol!

Baked secon loaf today.
Same mix as previous but upped moisture to 70%.
Baked in Webber on pre heated stone but without alfoil under trivet.
Baked it in a pyrex bowl instead of Dutch oven it won't entirely fit whilst on trivet in the Q.
View attachment 8602
Baked 25 covered
27 uncovered
Webber sitting about 210~220c
Burnt bum just a tad.
Look At that Crumb! Nice big fat air bubbles nice a soft and Moorish.
This goes great with butter and honey
Mmmm mmm

Oh for those wondering what a Pyrex bowl is this is what I'm talking about.
View attachment 8603
Its got a lid that sits and seals the top pretty much resembles the bottom but shallower. So I proofed the dough in this bottom section lined with floured tea towel. When your ready to bake get the lid pop it on top then flip the whole thing over. Remove the floured tea towel carefully. Then pop this in the oven with the bottom section now on top it will trap in the steam for the first half of the bake then remove the lid for the final half of the bake.
Clear as mud...
Looks delish! Butter and honey?! OMG!

On freshly baked sourdough bread HEAVEN
Can’t wait. Yeast starter is about 5 days old, won’t be making bread til next weekend. But honey is on the grocery list this week. :D

Yeah bloody oath I will too when it hits winter here I don't wanna heat the house up any more than it needs to be ATM it's that hot I recon your feet Sweat atm lol!

Yup. I do most of the cooking outdoors during the Summer too.

I've done rye/white flour breads not straight but i remember them being as you said mase more dense and heavy.

I'd start off with let's say a 10% rye to white flour mix or wholegrain mix..

The No Knead Rye that I make is a 1:2 ratio, 1 part rye to 2 whites and that is dense stuff....you are going to have trouble making it rise with much more than that..Oh yeah..and don't forget the caraway!

I have 2 loaves of it on the rise right now that I did with spent mash and made a double batch of SBG Waffles....the waffles are a at least a 1:1 with some unbleached white and SBG. Today's batch I did a 1 to 1.5 cause I love that grainy taste and I have so darn much of the stuff. I gotta find someone with hungry chickens!

20200126_112350.jpeg

If you have deer nearby, they’ll gladly take it off your hands. :)
Yup, they can smell a mash a mile away! I'm not much on feeding wildlife but they dig it out of the compost bin if I put it in there, so out on the field it goes.

The No Knead Rye that I make is a 1:2 ratio, 1 part rye to 2 whites and that is dense stuff....you are going to have trouble making it rise with much more than that..Oh yeah..and don't forget the caraway!

I have 2 loaves of it on the rise right now that I did with spent mash and made a double batch of SBG Waffles....the waffles are a at least a 1:1 with some unbleached white and SBG. Today's batch I did a 1 to 1.5 cause I love that grainy taste and I have so darn much of the stuff. I gotta find someone with hungry chickens!

View attachment 8609
My three hens are spoilt that's where my spent mash end up as well as some for the dog of course:).

Last edited:

Back