Bread Thread!

:D
Please don't let my wife know you guys are now on to bread! My pants are already tighter with all the pizza.
I’ll be sure not to tell her. :rolleyes:

And what harm can be done with a little itty bitty sourdough starter? :D

2483958B-19E8-4DC8-A1F6-08E1B9B02B10.jpeg

Oh bloody oath you have :p
Put me Next bread down this morn before heading to work.
500g white flour
100g starter
10g salt
325g water 65%
Even though lower moisture content this dough was heaps sticky.

Proof while at work 8hours ~
20200122_170649.jpg

Then shaped and sat bum up into the proofing bowl lined with floured tea towel (four it well it sux when it sticks!)
20200122_170638.jpg
I put this in a plastic bag and left it for two hours.
Baked in Webber Q stone and Dutch oven base in place pre heated full gas temp got to 200c
Cooked base covered 25min then uncovered 25min (recon can go longer for darker crust next time).
Here it tis fresh out the umm BBQo_O:).
20200122_164132.jpg

So hot atm so there was no way I was firing the oven inside today.
I used the alfoil on the grill to difuse the heat so I don't end up with a chard bread bum. Worked a treat actually next loaf I'll leave the foil out as the base was least cooked.
I baked with touch oven base on the stone looks like the bread rose until it filled out the shape of the Dutch oven base lol.
20200122_171924.jpg

Last edited:
Proof while at work 8hours ~View attachment 8564
Then shaped and sat bum up into the proofing bowl lined with floured tea towel (four it well it sux when it sticks!) View attachment 8565 I put this in a plastic bag and left it for two hours.
Baked in Webber Q stone and Dutch oven base in place pre heated full gas temp got to 200c
Cooked base covered 25min then uncovered 25min (recon can go longer for darker crust next time).
Here it tis fresh out the umm BBQo_O:).View attachment 8563
I used the alfoil on the grill to difuse the heat so I don't end up with a chard bread bum. Worked a treat actually next loaf I'll leave the foil out as the base was least cooked.
I baked with touch oven base on the stone looks like the bread rose until it filled out the shape of the Dutch oven base lol.
View attachment 8566

That's a really nice loaf. Good on ya.

Proof while at work 8hours ~View attachment 8564
Then shaped and sat bum up into the proofing bowl lined with floured tea towel (four it well it sux when it sticks!) View attachment 8565 I put this in a plastic bag and left it for two hours.
Here it tis fresh out the umm BBQo_O:).View attachment 8563
View attachment 8566

I've been having problems with the bottom of mine getting overdone.
Looks like yours is underdone.
How long did you pre-heat your dutch oven? I usually heat mine in the oven @450° for 30 minutes. I'm thinking of going down to 425°.

By the way, the loaf looks great

I've been having problems with the bottom of mine getting overdone.
Looks like yours is underdone.
How long did you pre-heat your dutch oven? I usually heat mine in the oven @450° for 30 minutes. I'm thinking of going down to 425°.
Yeah well that's what I used to get a really thick crust that was burnt on the bum!

So I preheated the stone with the Dutch oven base ontop for about 20ish minutes the temp on the Webber Q was 200c I baked covered with Dutch oven base for 25 Then uncovered for 25.

Yep your right the base was not crusty at all.
The foil diverted the heat around the base up into the top.
But I recon next cook I'll leave the alfoil out.

One other thing I saw one bread forum is once the covered bake is done carefully take the bread out of the Dutch oven and place on oven rack to finish cooking.

Yeah well that's what I used to get a really thick crust that was burnt on the bum!

So I preheated the stone with the Dutch oven base ontop for about 20ish minutes the temp on the Webber Q was 200c I baked covered with Dutch oven base for 25 Then uncovered for 25.

Yep your right the base was not crusty at all.
The foil diverted the heat around the base up into the top.
But I recon next cook I'll leave the alfoil out.

One other thing I saw one bread forum is once the covered bake is done carefully take the bread out of the Dutch oven and place on oven rack to finish cooking.

I typically go 30 minutes covered @ 450° (232C) and then 15 minutes uncovered. I always do this in an oven and never on a stone.
I think I'll try dropping the temperature and going onto a stone for a more even heat next time.

I typically go 30 minutes covered @ 450° (232C) and then 15 minutes uncovered. I always do this in an oven and never on a stone.
I think I'll try dropping the temperature and going onto a stone for a more even heat next time.
Worth a shot as they say everyone's kettles behave differently the same as your oven just gotta find that sweet spot ;).

I remember back to my Dutch oven sourdough days I was always fighting the burnt base maybe the stone will cool quicker and lessen the burn.

I know from the Vlogs online a few will turn the oven down for the secon half of the bake.

Remember it sux if she's soft in the middle give it a knock when you think it's done should be drummy

Worth a shot as they say everyone's kettles behave differently the same as your oven just gotta find that sweet spot ;).

I remember back to my Dutch oven sourdough days I was always fighting the burnt base maybe the stone will cool quicker and lessen the burn.

I know from the Vlogs online a few will turn the oven down for the secon half of the bake.

Remember it sux if she's soft in the middle give it a knock when you think it's done should be drummy
I never reduce the heat! Like you said, there's little worse than doughy bread.

I'm looking into doing a 100% Rye next.
Has anyone had success with one?

About 80%. Works very differently than wheat bread since it's binding using gums, not gluten. Makes a delicious, if quite dense, loaf.

I'm looking into doing a 100% Rye next.
Has anyone had success with one?
Gonna soon up a rye starter? I’m just now learning up some, and think I recall a YouTube video that the Rye starters are slower growers maybe?

I've read a little about it, but I think I'd stick with the starter I have going even though it wouldn't technically be 100%.
I'm not worrying about a super small percentage of wheat in this as I'm not intolerant in any way

Gonna soon up a rye starter? I’m just now learning up some, and think I recall a YouTube video that the Rye starters are slower growers maybe?
I thought you had a starter going. What next on your agenda

Back