Using Aquaphor healing ointment for Keg lube?

divoc 91

Trial Member
Reaction score
The ingredients in Aquaphor starts with Mineral oil, I think I am going to try this on my Keg posts to prolong the life of the orings and prevent premature damage. My liquid and gas posts are always so stiff so might as well lube them up right? pun joke.

has anyone used Aquaphor for keg posts before?

I had problems with nitrile o rings a while back, over time they get sticky and left black residue in the post adapters. So I switched to silicone to avoid the problem.

You can pick them up from McMaster-Carr. They are a size dash 111. Part number 1283N53. They stop the all the sticky crap and never need any lubricant

I wouldn’t use Aquaphor- you’d be better off with a food safe dairy lube, or even plain mineral oil if you had to.

Isn’t Aquaphor petroleum based? IE vaseline?

Thanks f
I had problems with nitrile o rings a while back, over time they get sticky and left black residue in the post adapters. So I switched to silicone to avoid the problem.

You can pick them up from McMaster-Carr. They are a size dash 111. Part number 1283N53. They stop the all the sticky crap and never need any lubricant
or the tip I am not having any problems, but I just heard of several people finding their kegerators with drained kegs from leaks on the liquid post! plus they are hard to put on and off. I just put the most small amount on them and wiped it off and it is much easier, but I'll pick up a set of silicone replacements

I wouldn’t use Aquaphor- you’d be better off with a food safe dairy lube, or even plain mineral oil if you had to.

Isn’t Aquaphor petroleum based? IE vaseline?
Just because it’s petroleum base doesn’t mean it’s not food grade.

It’s easier to replace the seals with silicone based seals and eliminate the problem entirely.

One thing I've found with dicky ball lock posts more so than gas is a nice fat o ring. If the O ring doesn't have enough bulge the ball bearings I find get stuck in the O ring grove and become catchy.

Example take your O ring off and put your liquid disconnect on (dont) it's a b#tch to get off.
Well that's my take anyways there are O rings and then there are O rings.

Using any lube on o-rings is like a catch-22. Lube makes things slide easier and protects against nicks and what not, but it also starts breaking them down quicker. Luckily, o-rings are cheap.

Just because it’s petroleum base doesn’t mean it’s not food grade.

It’s easier to replace the seals with silicone based seals and eliminate the problem entirely.

Sure- but petroleum breaks down rubber, so if I had rubber o-rings I would not use a petroleum based product. The make tons of food-grade lubricants cheap, and I use one meant for dairy equipment for my ordinary o-rings/gaskets. A small tube lasts me years.

Sure- but petroleum breaks down rubber, so if I had rubber o-rings I would not use a petroleum based product. The make tons of food-grade lubricants cheap, and I use one meant for dairy equipment for my ordinary o-rings/gaskets. A small tube lasts me years.
The seals for corny kegs are typically made from nitrile synthetic rubber and are oil resistant, so you could use just about any food grade lubricant. But I got tired of adding lub to the seals and the nitrile seals would swell and get sticky, causing that black, sticky crap to coat the inside of the post adapter.

I switched to silicone seals and I have never needed to add lub and they don't get sticky. Problem solved. You will have to clean the post adapters to get rid of the junk from the nitrile seal, but once you do you won't see it again. I will never go back to nitrile.

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/126/3719

Dash 111 is the seal size. Part Number 1283N53

Last edited:
The seals for corny kegs are typically made from nitrile synthetic rubber and are oil resistant, so you could use just about any food grade lubricant. But I got tired of adding lub to the seals and the nitrile seals would swell and get sticky, causing that black, sticky crap to coat the inside of the post adapter.

I switched to silicone seals and I have never needed to add lub and they don't get sticky. Problem solved. You will have to clean the post adapters to get rid of the junk from the nitrile seal, but once you do you won't see it again. I will never go back to nitrile.

https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/126/3719

Dash 111 is the seal size. Part Number 1283N53
For less than $5 for what could last most a lifetime, not bad!

To save driving to the homebrew store, I walked to the pharmacy and got a tube of K-Y. I mean, it's sterile food-grade glycerine. No impact on foam. Good with any O-rings except Viton.

To save driving to the homebrew store, I walked to the pharmacy and got a tube of K-Y. I mean, it's sterile food-grade glycerine. No impact on foam. Good with any O-rings except Viton.
I’m good with staying with Keg Lube. I’ll pass on then KY for brewing needs.

Back