Dry Hopping

Bennyboyca

Trial Member
Reaction score
Generally, what how many days is recommended for dry hopping to get a fresher aroma?

Anywhere up to 5 days i go. I try not to go longer than a week in fear of grassy flavours.
But I have keg hopped a time or two and left the small hop addition in the keg whilst I consumed it without consequence.

I think it's a type of hop thing myself...

There's a bit of information doing the rounds at the moment suggesting closer to 2 days may emphasise the lighter citrus/fruity flavours over the grassier/darker/dank flavours. Seems the lighter components in hops will reach their maximum extraction level in 24-48 hours while the more vegetal and bitter flavours hit their peak around day 5.

And this is massively dependent on the hops you're using and what types of the various materials they have.

Last few beers I've dry hopped have been about 3 days. As they were first attempts of new recipes I can't be sure it's made a difference, but there's not much of the bitter, vegetal taste in either.

And sorry for the non sequitur rant, but I now have a new public hop enemy number one, based on those two beers. I've been noticing a hop with a real sweet candy taste in a few beers I've been drinking in the last six months. Sort of like those candy bracelets I remember from primary school. And it's definetly not something I'm enjoying. It's in these last two beers I've brewed and Azacca is the only common hop in the two, so I'm pretty sure it's responsible.

There's a bit of information doing the rounds at the moment suggesting closer to 2 days may emphasise the lighter citrus/fruity flavours over the grassier/darker/dank flavours. Seems the lighter components in hops will reach their maximum extraction level in 24-48 hours while the more vegetal and bitter flavours hit their peak around day 5.

And this is massively dependent on the hops you're using and what types of the various materials they have.

Last few beers I've dry hopped have been about 3 days. As they were first attempts of new recipes I can't be sure it's made a difference, but there's not much of the bitter, vegetal taste in either.

And sorry for the non sequitur rant, but I now have a new public hop enemy number one, based on those two beers. I've been noticing a hop with a real sweet candy taste in a few beers I've been drinking in the last six months. Sort of like those candy bracelets I remember from primary school. And it's definetly not something I'm enjoying. It's in these last two beers I've brewed and Azacca is the only common hop in the two, so I'm pretty sure it's responsible.

I've used Azacca and I find it kind of a "also ran" hop. I thought a candy like taste came from contamination in some form.

I've used Azacca and I find it kind of a "also ran" hop. I thought a candy like taste came from contamination in some form.
Hmm, could be. Looking at the standard off flavour pages it really doesn't give a great idea of what that one would be. Maybe underattenuation? These weren't dry but not obviously underattenuated.

The candy flavour has gone away in both of those beers. Hasn't made the hop mix any more attractive though.

Back