Incomplete boil?

Mike359

Premium Member
Reaction score
Last night I was brewing a Session IPA. Everything was going well until I got to the boil point and my burner decided not to cooperate. After about and hour and a half I was finally able to get a slight boil, but never reached a rolling boil. I decided to go ahead and do all my hop additions at the appropriate times and boiled off close to the desired amount.
This was my 4th time brewing so my experience level is pretty low. Should I be concerned? And if so is there anything I can do?

Thanks

Isomerization of the alpha acids in the bittering hops occurs at temperatures over 180 degrees. So, if you were able to get hot break and keep the temperature around boiling for the planned time, you should be good.

As an aside, I brew almost all of my batches for just 30 minutes. Speeds up my brew day and I have yet to see any discernable difference. I adjust the hops schedule accordingly. I have been doing this for about three years.

Recon it'll be fine might not be as bitter as expected.

Isomerization of the alpha acids in the bittering hops occurs at temperatures over 180 degrees.
That is actually being reconsidered in the brewing world. I make IPA's and Pale Ales without boiling any hops, beer judges don't seem to notice the lack of bitterness and I do very well in competitions with these beers. Will the beer be less bitter? Depends on the hop schedule, if enough hops are used and there are the proper amount of alpha acids, the beer will be fine.

I think your beer will be just fine. Often new brewers tend to make the beer too bitter and not very hoppy. By this I mean, the beer is almost too bitter and there is little flavor or aroma to back it up, making the beer unbalanced. You may have just "screwed up in reverse" and made a better beer than you intended.

Last night I was brewing a Session IPA. Everything was going well until I got to the boil point and my burner decided not to cooperate. After about and hour and a half I was finally able to get a slight boil, but never reached a rolling boil. I decided to go ahead and do all my hop additions at the appropriate times and boiled off close to the desired amount.
This was my 4th time brewing so my experience level is pretty low. Should I be concerned? And if so is there anything I can do?

Thanks
You pasteurized it (effectively instantaneous at 180 degrees), you should have gotten enough isomerization as Bob pointed out, about the only thing I can think of that could go wrong is DMS - you may not have boiled it off. If you have it, it'll be an unpleasant vegetal taste like creamed corn or canned cabbage. But a gentle boil at 1.5 hours should have boiled it off.

For your 4th brew you are worried about the right things, but as others have said above, and if you hit your numbers (close), then I think it’ll turn out non the worse for wear.

Thank you everyone for the replies. I feel much better about the beer now. I was able to stay between 200 and 210 the majority of the time and my OG was spot on. Looks like i need a new regulator for the burner.
Thanks again

Back