Dry January??

Ward Chillington

Trial Member
Established Member
Reaction score
So here we are January 7th and it's 3 times now that I have ran into this silly mention in the news of a fad called Sober January or Dry Curious. What the heck is going on in this world? Am I getting old and out of touch or coming to realize that people just have no friggen self control and have to go from one extreme to the other!

And now I heard that these thing are impacting beer sales...come on February!

dryjmeme.jpg

Too many people watching/listening to the Homebrew Happy Hour video/podcast:)

Don't know about anyone else, but January, when it's really cold out, is when I need to increase my antifreeze intake. If you're trying to shed the extra weight you put on over the holidays, make it a spudless January.

I didn't want to get a bucket of water dumped on my head ether. Just another reason for me not to be enlisted in social media. If you chose to dry out for a while then do what you feel is right for you. And as far as beer sales dropping in January, it makes sense as the holidays are over. False truths are rampant on social media also. End rant, now where did I set my beer.....

Dry January has been around for awhile, but it does seem to be getting more attention in the (social) media recently.
Just another time / way / reason to fast...not that it is a bad thing.

Last edited:
Even February is extended this year.... Too many people trying to live forever. Me, I'll shorten my lifespan and drink my 12 ounces of beer a night even in January.

My wife did it because she's climbing up in weight, so I'm on board and trying but I'm not entirely succeeding.

I thought I would try to go without this month and for the most I did, all I could do was cut back to no more than 3 in a day and also set a time to start that's after 9 pm, not the best for my belly but at least I'm home and don’t need a sleep aid :cool:

Did 2 months about 1.5 years ago, just for the heck of it.
I didn't sleep any better, I didn't feel fitter and I even didn't loose any weight .....
Only positive was that I know I can do it.....

We have a counter-measure called TryAnuary where you try new beers. Tried a mango cider so far and an 11% stout and my West Coast Pale is conditioning quite well too s I tried that last night. Not bad...

Wouldn't recommend it, but if you need encouragement to stop drinking beer (or anything carbonated), take Acetazolamide.
I had to for a couple months a few months back. By the end of the first month I was practically dry, as the only alcohol I drink is beer and that tasted absolutely horrible. Because the stuff made me feel pretty shit in general, I would take the weekends off. After the second day of no meds, carbonated beverages started to become tolerable again. Just in time to have a couple beers and then start taking that horrible stuff again. :D

Did 2 months about 1.5 years ago, just for the heck of it.
I didn't sleep any better, I didn't feel fitter and I even didn't loose any weight .....
Only positive was that I know I can do it.....

I wish I was in this boat! I think I'm the opposite on everything you listed lol. Maybe it's age related.

I give up beer/alcohol every Lent. It's really not that tough. For whatever reason I get "beered out" that time of the year anyway.
I sleep a little better and lose a little bit of weight. I keep brewing during that time, so by Easter my kegs are all loaded up.

The first beer afterward is the best. It's like tasting beer for the first time.

Now I am getting curious about everyone's cohort ;)

Back