Cell required count in brew recipe different from calculator.

kennes

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I might be me but when I check the "cell required" field in a recipe (which is suppose to take into account OG, wort volume, and pitch rate to compute the number of yeast cells required)
I get a different number than in the starter calculator in the field "Target Pitch Rate Cells".
Aren't they are supposed to be the same ?

How to reproduce:
1/ go to any recipe
2/ check "Cells Required"
3/ click "Yeast Pitch Rate and Starter Calculator"
4/ check "Target Pitch Rate Cells"
5/ get different values ??

Thanks a lot :),
Cheers

I just did it, and didn't get different values. Can you give us a screenshot where you see this? Thank you so much. We want to fix this issue, but I can't recreate it.

Hi, thx for your answer :)

Here are 2 screenshots, first one from my recipe, second from the starter calculator,
from the recipe view I get 98B cells and from the starter calculator 373B.

https://imgur.com/a/lpDY0mM

Cheers,

Last edited:
Just checking to make sure I have it correct- you've got a liquid yeast in the one, and dry yeast in the calculator. Does it still do that when you use the same yeast?

Yeah, sorry,
Ok so i found another weird thing:
it seems also that the link to the starter calculator in the EDIT recipe page does not take into account yeast type
whereas the link in the public page (not edit) takes it correctly into account.
(when i click to starter calculator, in edit it keeps the dry packets, in public page it changes to liquid).

back to the original problem,
The cell count does not change when changing yeast type, so no difference there,
also, BTW, from what i saw, the starter calculator is right and the recipe view is largely under pitching.

Yeah, sorry,
Ok so i found another weird thing:
it seems also that the link to the starter calculator in the EDIT recipe page does not take into account yeast type
whereas the link in the public page (not edit) takes it correctly into account.
(when i click to starter calculator, in edit it keeps the dry packets, in public page it changes to liquid).

back to the original problem,
The cell count does not change when changing yeast type, so no difference there,
also, BTW, from what i saw, the starter calculator is right and the recipe view is largely under pitching.

Thank you for the extra information- I let the developers know.

It's January 2020 (a year after OP created this thread) and I'm experiencing same issue with the Yeast Calculator prescribing a lot more yeast than the recipe calls for.

Example: Guiness Clone x2.5 calls for 1 packet of dry yeast (and starter) with cell count 327B. The calculator indicates the required count is 654B cells and reaching that number would require 6 dry packets.

Screenshots: https://imgur.com/a/V2tNbpV

I've experienced this with every recipe I've looked at...dry or liquid yeast.

Anyone know what's going on with the calculator? Thanks!

I don’t see a screenshot there- can you upload it right to a post so I can take a look, and/or a recipe with the link?

I ran the same numbers through Brewfather's yeast calculator and the numbers match. This suggests the formula is correct.

Can someone explain why recipes are calling for much smaller amounts of yeast then the calculator does?

In theory the calculator would provide the better guideline.

Thoughts? Thanks!

It looks like difference is due to two different pitch rates.

In the calculator you have pro 1.0 M / mL but in the recipe you have 0.5 M / mL selected.

If you change one or the other pitch rates to be the same, they should match.

It looks like difference is due to two different pitch rates.

In the calculator you have pro 1.0 M / mL but in the recipe you have 0.5 M / mL selected.

If you change one or the other pitch rates to be the same, they should match.

Ah good catch...thanks.

I jumped into all-grain brewing a few months ago and still learning the nuances of what to look out for re. the numbers of it. Lots of numbers... :)

No worries, glad we were able to get it sorted out. Welcome to Brewers Friend!

Back