Sparging / Lautering question

I had to look it up too. When I did I and thought about age. Children know nothing; Teenagers and young adults know everything; Adults realize they are just average; Seniors realize that's OK. Pretty much applies to everybody! So far it applies to my life and my brewing!

I know a lot of seniors and adults that do not fit this summation, it's incredible how many people try to explain my job to me.

Depends, DK is based around ignorance providing confidence of knowledge. Ignoring evidence is more bias related, confirmation bias type but I'd have to look it up to be sure.
Confirmation bias is simply over-weighting information that conforms to what you already believe. Next to Dunning-Krueger, it's probably the single largest contributor to human ignorance. It's a hard one to fight: The basketball player believes the half-court shot at the buzzer is a miracle and thanks a deity, despite no evidence whatsoever of the clock stopping to allow the shot to be made or the ball exhibiting non-ballistic motion once released.

I know a lot of seniors and adults that do not fit this summation, it's incredible how many people try to explain my job to me.
Or 80% of all drivers reporting their skills as above average.

I Vorlauf & have for a long time. I always use 1/2 LB Rice Hulls to encourage flow through. I use the Wort circulation to raise the Mash Temp to the next step. That generally takes 15 to 20 minutes. Circulation is stopped for the rest & then restarted to reach the next step temp. While I don't do this to have clear Wort coming out of the Mash Tun but to reduce the amount of debris in the bottom of the Kettle. I'm told that I'm doing RIMS but with Propane.
When I Sparge into the Kettle I often end up with more Wort than my 9 Gal Kettle will safely hold. I typically drain the surplus into a carboy with an Air Check. I use the 3 ish Gal & recovered Yeast from a previous batch to make a Baby Beer. Since my Conditioning Compartment only holds 1 carboy at a time, the Baby Beer sits in a closet until the main batch ferments. At that time I get out the Kettle again & boil the surplus with Hop Additions scaled down for the smaller volume. I use this Baby beer to try out different Hops &/or Yeast.

Last edited:
I Vorlauf & have for a long time. I always use 1/2 LB Rice Hulls to encourage flow through. I use the Wort circulation to raise the Mash Temp to the next step. That generally takes 15 to 20 minutes. Circulation is stopped for the rest & then restarted to reach the next step temp. While I don't do this to have clear Wort coming out of the Mash Tun but to reduce the amount of debris in the bottom of the Kettle. I'm told that I'm doing RIMS but with Propane.
When I Sparge into the Kettle I often end up with more Wort than my 9 Gal Kettle will safely hold. I typically drain the surplus into a carboy with an Air Check. I use the 3 ish Gal & recovered Yeast from a previous batch to make a Baby Beer. Since my Conditioning Compartment only holds 1 carboy at a time, the Baby Beer sits in a closet until the main batch ferments. At that time I get out the Kettle again & boil the surplus with Hop Additions scaled down for the smaller volume. I use this Baby beer to try out different Hops &/or Yeast.

I'm totally intrigued! Your pre-boiled wart sits for a couple of weeks before you boil it?

I'm totally intrigued! Your pre-boiled wart sits for a couple of weeks before you boil it?

Uh, yeah I do. I drain the hot (150F or so) into a spare carboy & put on an air check. I'm very careful to sanitize the carboy & air check 1st. The real problem is the carboy is a Better Bottle plastic 5 gal & it is usually not happy about the hot content. The unboiled wort only sits for a week to 10 days.
I've been doing this for my last 6 brews. It works pretty well, I've only had 1 infection & that was totally my fault.

I got the idea from Charlie Papazian in an article on the Last Drop from a long time ago. He said that he often didn't get around to Boil/Fermentation because of his travel Schedule & that he kept Mashed but not Boiled Sweet Wort in a closet with air check for he could get around to the Boil/Ferment.
Has worked for me, except my screw up.

Old thread but I just had a thought thinking about my cream of 3 crops brew last weekend. If making all grains, why not put all water in the mash tun - so about 8.5 gallons and steep for an hour at 150 or so, then simply clear the wort a pitcher at a time, putting it back into the tun until it flows out clear? Wouldn't that improve efficiency? Or does too much water negatively affect the ability to activate enzymes to convert starches to sugar. ??

you’ve largely described no sparge and that’s how I do most of my beers. Works fine but you lose a bit of efficiency. (2-3%)

Old thread but I just had a thought thinking about my cream of 3 crops brew last weekend. If making all grains, why not put all water in the mash tun - so about 8.5 gallons and steep for an hour at 150 or so, then simply clear the wort a pitcher at a time, putting it back into the tun until it flows out clear? Wouldn't that improve efficiency? Or does too much water negatively affect the ability to activate enzymes to convert starches to sugar. ??

I'm another full volume/no sparge masher. I find it very easy for anything above about a 1.040 OG and am more than happy with the slight efficiency loss. I've got some concerns about lower than that but I haven't eliminated other possible reasons for less than ideal extraction at those levels. If it turns out it's the dilution, I'll just add a sparge step in for the low gravity beers.

Back