Hello from Texas...

N0mad

Trial Member
Reaction score
Started with a PicoBrew C my son in-law gave me for Christmas last year and had great success with it. Started brewing BIAB all grain 10 liter batches a month ago, brewed third 10 liter batch last Sunday. Was't a beer drinker per say but the home brew is so much better and I really like sharing it with my friends and co-workers.

I'm caught up in the chemistry and process of fermentation I just find it fascinating.

Batch #1 American Wheat Beer
Batch #2 A Hoegaarden Clone
Batch #3 Citrus Orange Wit

Last edited:
Welcome. You'll find a good crew here.

cheers nomad whatcha do with you picobrew c?
Put it back in the Box which is in the garage storage area. I wanted more flexibility with ingredients and volume so I invested in a decent 6 Gal SS induction ready pot and a couple of 3 gallon carboys off of Craig's List, picking up a nice mini fridge (Craig's List) find this weekend to ferment out in the garage in lieu of taking up the kitchen counters. It will be hot here in Texas very soon.

The guys at LHBS in San Antonio have been great to work with.

them picobrews aint cheap eh? sell that to by more brewware. their pretty much fully automated with app controlle and all right? just goes to show us hombrewers like to get our hands dirty and dig in on brew day not have some computer do everything for us. takes the fun out of it i recon.

Unless that’s the fun you’re looking for. ;) I’m sure there’s lots of people interested in Press button get wort.

Unless that’s the fun you’re looking for. ;) I’m sure there’s lots of people interested in Press button get wort.
It was a Christmas gift from my son in-law as I've already stated I'm a senior software engineer with the DoD working in encrypted wireless communication and I'm sure he thought I would enjoy it... and I did.

It's quite a piece of tech really as it records your brew sessions via wireless each PicoPak has an RFID chip embedded in the brew pack which tells the machine how to brew the recipe along with the correct amount of bittering.

The PicoPaks consist of all grain ingredients along with pellets in the hop basket. Matter of fact it is not unlike the Grainfather Connect and similar systems utilizing the same type of pumps, heating and wireless communication... it's just designed to use a smaller PicoPak vs loose grains and it makes pretty good beer.

If it weren't for the PicoBrew I would have never discovered home brewing and this forum... I didn't need another hobby but I've made lot's of new friends giving away free beer.

Bought some used (Craig's List) and new equipment and have done really well bottling and kegging small batches I've become fascinated with the chemistry of the different yeast, and the aspects of fermentation.

For myself anyway the PicoBrew was the catalyst that triggered the next level as I'm sure it's been for others... being a Grandfather of four I wouldn't have discovered home brewing on my own.

I did not know they have an RFID in the kit. Too cool!

Welcome N0mad. This is a pretty fun hobby. One that engineer types really seem to gravitate to and do well with it seems.
I really like checking out the pico systems. I'd love to get one of the pico z setups to toy around with!

Welcome N0mad. This is a pretty fun hobby. One that engineer types really seem to gravitate to and do well with it seems.
I really like checking out the pico systems. I'd love to get one of the pico z setups to toy around with!
The Z is the big daddy... using the Pico C is a 2.5 hour process from start to finish your brew session is tracked in real time through your account on the Pico website, in the firmware there are options to adjust IBU and ABV it's designed so that you can rack and bottle with it as well because it's a closed system. Are they pricey? yes... Would I have purchased it for myself? No... but I learned a lot from using it.

All three of my 2.6 gallon all grain BIAB sessions have been successful because of it.

The Z is the big daddy... using the Pico C is a 2.5 hour process from start to finish your brew session is tracked in real time through your account on the Pico website, in the firmware there are options to adjust IBU and ABV it's designed so that you can rack and bottle with it as well because it's a closed system. Are they pricey? yes... Would I have purchased it for myself? No... but I learned a lot from using it.

All three of my 2.6 gallon all grain BIAB sessions have been successful because of it.

Can you do your own recipes with the C or is it the brew pods only?

That's interesting, if I hadn't gotten into it through being a cheap bastard I might have gotten one being an IT nerd myself. I am glad I went the home built all grain route though, definitely gives me more flexibility.

Hello,
I just joined, really need some info on using the pico s with all grain. I tried the steps from the pico web site, but keep getting a hose error. Odd as the hoses are connected together. Anyway, in AZ it gets so hot that I can't get 5 gal. of wart chilled to 68 degrees in the summer. Thought I could do small batches to keep going, and try new recipes out. Just having trouble doing all grain with it.

Hello,
I just joined, really need some info on using the pico s with all grain. I tried the steps from the pico web site, but keep getting a hose error. Odd as the hoses are connected together. Anyway, in AZ it gets so hot that I can't get 5 gal. of wart chilled to 68 degrees in the summer. Thought I could do small batches to keep going, and try new recipes out. Just having trouble doing all grain with it.

I assume you're using the Pico Z and the "S" is a typo. The hose error isn't listed on the web site. Your best bet is to use their customer support form to submit your request for assistance. I doubt you'll find many here who use the Pico. Mostly DIY brewers here.

Anyway, in AZ it gets so hot that I can't get 5 gal. of wart chilled to 68 degrees in the summer.
Hey Jerry, Welcome! Don't let the heat keep you from trying large batches. It gets hot back east here as well so I use a cooler full of ice water and a submersible pump to push cold water through my emersion coil rather than using warm ground water.

Have fun with the Pico!

Hey Jerry, Welcome! Don't let the heat keep you from trying large batches. It gets hot back east here as well so I use a cooler full of ice water and a submersible pump to push cold water through my emersion coil rather than using warm ground water.

Have fun with the Pico!

Thanks, and I have been reading some posts that some guys just leave their wort to cool on it's own. They wait a day and then pitch the yeast. Pico brew says let your wort cool over night so I guess I just have to try it to find out.

Happy Brewing!

Thanks, and I have been reading some posts that some guys just leave their wort to cool on it's own. They wait a day and then pitch the yeast. Pico brew says let your wort cool over night so I guess I just have to try it to find out.

Happy Brewing!
Your Pico does 5 gallon batches? I thought they were 2.5 gallon? At any rate, there's numerous ways to cool wort down. A simple ice bath with movement (like stirring) being one very simple option.

Back