Scaling a recipe to new ABV

Craigerrr

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
There are scalong options for batch size, and efficiency. Is there somewhere that you can scale by ABV that I am not seeing?

Or maybe scaling by OG?

No, you can scale by efficiency and batch size only currently.

What would you like to see available for other options? And how would you like to see it work?

In the top left corner of the fermentables section there's a button for "goal", this is for scaling according to OG or ABV.

I imagine the phrase "goal" was supposed to be short for "goal seek", a common term in math modeling but I don't think that's clear to most users. @Yooper think we should put in a request for that to become "scale" instead?

In the top left corner of the fermentables section there's a button for "goal", this is for scaling according to OG or ABV.

I imagine the phrase "goal" was supposed to be short for "goal seek", a common term in math modeling but I don't think that's clear to most users. @Yooper think we should put in a request for that to become "scale" instead?

That's not designed for scaling, though. That's for recipe formulation. I use it all the time- I want an 11 gallon batch of 1.050 OG, using percentages of 90% pale US two row, and 10% light US crystal. Click that, and I get it.

I think what is being asked for here is different, like if the current OG is 1.042, but the brewer wants it to be 1.056 with no other changes. That's why I asked what was the desired operation, because I think this may be deeper than just adding a little more grain.

You're right, scaling a recipe in it's entirety is more complicated than just the fermentables, but that button does keep grains at a constant percentage and scales all of the weights up or down to hit the goal OG (or abv). This will also change the SRM, and the IBUs which will then need to be adjusted.

But that's pretty much always the case for any brewing software when scaling a recipe to a different OG or ABV, it always adjust the grain bill first.

What would you say is the difference between recipe scaling, and recipe formulation for this tool?

Last edited:

Since it can be used for either purpose, I'd suggest using "Desired OG" as the label, since that's what it does. I'd suggest, if targeting ABV is the goal, that you have another choice, "Target ABV", but that could only work if a yeast had been selected because changing OG changes FG, therefore ABV, and the amount is dependent on the yeast's attenuation.

I don't want to open a can of worms, but I will keep the goal OG in mind.

Back