Final Gravity question...

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Just pulled a sample on Manky 'lil Sally, getting a gravity of 1.024 at 22 days in, expected FG is 1.018. If I rack this to a keg with priming sugar should I reduce the amount of sugar by say 10% or just prime it and not worry about it?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/917095/manky-lil-sally

Going to install a top draw in the keg and some type of hop filter on my auto siphon before racking. I'll check in later.

Really would like to get it off the hops today.

Why would you prime with sugar if it's going into a keg? Not saying you shouldn't, I really wouldn't know. When mine goes into a keg the carbonation comes from CO2 so no sugar involved.

Why would you prime with sugar if it's going into a keg? Not saying you shouldn't, I really wouldn't know. When mine goes into a keg the carbonation comes from CO2 so no sugar involved.

Carbonating this beer higher than my Czech Lagers, AND my naturally carbonated ales have tasted better than when I tried to force carbonate. I don't mind waiting a couple extra weeks, plenty of beer on hand. I'm seriously considering naturally carbonating ALL my beers, why not let the yeast do the work...

Hate so see it get lazy like chestnuts...

Interesting. Doesn't it throw your numbers out as it carries on fermenting? Wouldn't your ABV be higher?

I’d be more concerned and focused on why the beer stalled at 1.024 first as there may be a problem. If it were me, I wouldn’t ferment in a closed keg unless you have a spunding valve. Lastly, you’re going to have some nasty trub coming out of the first several pours from the keg. But it’s your beer, so best of luck!

Just pulled a sample on Manky 'lil Sally, getting a gravity of 1.024 at 22 days in, expected FG is 1.018. If I rack this to a keg with priming sugar should I reduce the amount of sugar by say 10% or just prime it and not worry about it?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/917095/manky-lil-sally

Going to install a top draw in the keg and some type of hop filter on my auto siphon before racking. I'll check in later.

Really would like to get it off the hops today.
Wait until you know it's done. Carbonation in the keg isn't a problem but you can blow one of those up to. Unless you know exactly where the fermentation is going, say from a fast fermentation test, assuming the sugar is all gone or even a percentage remaining based on gravity is dangerous.

I’d be more concerned and focused on why the beer stalled at 1.024 first as there may be a problem. If it were me, I wouldn’t ferment in a closed keg unless you have a spunding valve. Lastly, you’re going to have some nasty trub coming out of the first several pours from the keg. But it’s your beer, so best of luck!

I've had a couple that have finished high now so when I brewed last weekend I made a starter rather than just pitching dry yeast (Safale 04) and that seems to have done the trick. Recipe said 1012 and we were at 1011 today and I'm not sure it's finished. Seems like those higher ABV beers appreciate a starter.

With anything ~1.060 or less, you can use dry yeast single packet. With liquid yeast, you’ll have to add the date to the yeast starter calculator on this site to make sure you are pitching enough, and will likely need a starter. Anything over a ~1.060 Will almost assuredly require a starter. This assures you are pitching the right amount of yeast.

*assuming 5 gallon batches

I have had a couple of batches finish a little high, and just kegged them, but I force carbonate so I had no concerns about having a WWII bomb on my hands. If I was going to prime an under attenuated beer in a keg, I would definitley set up some kind of relief in case the yeast finishes up the job after being stimulated by the priming sugar. Your best option if you really must get this into a keg now would be to force carbonate this one.

Now Mase, as far as the somewhat low attenuation, I was running on the low end of the temp range. Probably my problem?

With anything ~1.060 or less, you can use dry yeast single packet. With liquid yeast, you’ll have to add the date to the yeast starter calculator on this site to make sure you are pitching enough, and will likely need a starter. Anything over a ~1.060 Will almost assuredly require a starter. This assures you are pitching the right amount of yeast.

*assuming 5 gallon batches
And not a Lager.

You're gonna love that top draw I bet. I know I do mine!

Back