Beer Line Cleaning

So I don't have a fancy setup. I've been using a picnic tap and just running hot water mixed with starsan through my keg and line. The line is getting noticeably dingier from running dark beers through it, is that something caustic cleaner would help with?
Once they’re stained from darker beers, it’s there to stay. But a good cleaning practice can really extend the life.

Beer Line Cleaner (BLC), PBW, or Oxyclean Free work well. Run a bit through to fill the lines and allow to soak for 15 or 20 minutes. Repeat as necessary until the mixture doesn't come out discolored and then run a gallon of clear water through to rinse.

That’s virtually the same as my process and I use a pump to recirculate the BLC. I wonder if continuous flushing is better or less effective than letting it soak. Hmmmm

That’s virtually the same as my process and I use a pump to recirculate the BLC. I wonder if continuous flushing is better or less effective than letting it soak. Hmmmm

I've done it both ways and never saw any difference in results. The main reason I don't use the pump any more is I clean the kegs and lines at the same time, so just hook up to a keg after it's soaked and run the cleaner through the lines and faucets.

Caustic beer line cleaner is definitely the way to go for clean beer lines. I decided that I will have to use it whether I like it or not so they will get done this weekend.

There's always a noticeable drop off in the quality of beer when lines are not clean. As much as I dislike caustic solutions I dislike bad beer more.

I'm also hearing about lines with "barriers". No idea how much is marketing and how much simple plastics material science.

Hope it's more of the latter, as I'll probably buy it in the new year when I try and get four taps going in the kegerator

I'm also hearing about lines with "barriers". No idea how much is marketing and how much simple plastics material science.

Hope it's more of the latter, as I'll probably buy it in the new year when I try and get four taps going in the kegerator

Interestingly, I'm a bit of a believer in that. I've been in the pub industry for 35 years and more and it's been accepted wisdom, with very good reason, that beer lines need cleaning every 7-10 days.

We are now seeing Heineken rolling out a 'Smart Dispense' system that requires lines cleaning every 8 weeks with talk about pushing that out to 16 weeks. Nobody is saying much about how they're achieving that but the only way I can see is something new within the lines themselves.

X3
I have two taps, bought 100' box of tubing, dirt cheap, have enough to last for years atm
I clean my lines with PBW, then run starsan solution through, then rinse thoroughly with water. I do this when changing to a keg with different beer, or if I don't have a keg to hook up right away. Once they get discolored enough I change em.

Caustic is the way to go and it won't hurt your keg if you're using it in the proper dilution.
Most home brewers won't have access to caustic and instead use PBW or similar products.
I'd suggest BLC as the best choice if you can't get caustic.
This will work with a soak over time, but it's best to circulate it if you can.
Considering it's an alkaline product, you shouldn't use co2 to push it as it will decrease it's ph.
A pump or air compressor will work to circulate the product.
I'm not sure how hot you can use the BLC, but the caustic works best between 150° and 160°.
This should then be rinsed out with water and then followed with an acidic rinse solution. Star San works fine.
I clean my beer lines every 2 weeks and then swap out my lines every other month. I just made up an extra set of lines so I can just quickly swap them out. I'll then let them soak for a while before a complete rinse and hang up to dry.
There is new beverage line that will last longer, but they still need to be cleaned regularly.
The only issue I've had with the lines over time is that they'll get a yellow cast to them.
Beer line is CHEAP so, when in doubt, through it out.
I hope this helps.
Cheers,
Brian

You talking about the kegland beer line Mark I bought a 20meter roll of the I'd 4mm line it's the bees knees more flexible than the old stuff anyhow. I just come through a line clean using my pressure pump rig with carb cap and them line clean up squeaky clean not even much crud on the first cleaner run even after today was an hour soak an bloody hot temp and she came out pretty clear. Beer is tasting good now too yep best beers are always after cleaning the line eh?:)

Huh, my lines are super old compared to the rest of you.

Huh, my lines are super old compared to the rest of you.
I put mine in when I built my keezer earlier this year I've no plans on changing them out unless something drastic happens like diassicus infection it think that's what that nasty ass bacteria is calledo_O

Back