Concern with yeast I procured

Tierran

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey, first time poster, recently signed up for BF. I'm going to be doing a stout this weekend and I have a friend who works at a local brewery, so I thought it would be fun to get some yeast from them. So I boiled a mason jar to sanitize it and took it in today to get it filled. When I got home, I decided that since I'd be using it on Saturday and not today, I didn't want it sealed for 3 days and exploding on me, so I cracked it open and was going to put it in a ziplock before putting it in the fridge. Well they filled it it nice and full because it came gushing out when I opened it.

So here's my concern...the jar was sterilized but when I took it to and from the brewery, obviously the exterior no longer is. I don't plan to use any of the yeast that dripped out but should I be concerned at all with what's still in the jar? The jar is in a ziploc so I feel ok about that at least.

Just out of curiosity, is the yeast suitable for a stout? Cleaning and sanitization are paramount to home brewing. If you fear a breech in either, I’d go get some fresh yeast from your LHBS.

Yes, this came from the stout they were cracking open today.

And I agree on the sanitation issue, hence my concern. Would you use it? I was only going to take from inside the jar which was definitely sanitized well and it was handled by the guy who runs the yeast cultures

Yes, this came from the stout they were cracking open today.

And I agree on the sanitation issue, hence my concern. Would you use it? I was only going to take from inside the jar which was definitely sanitized well and it was handled by the guy who runs the yeast cultures
As long as you can clean and sanitize the outside of the jar, use it. That it gushed just indicates it was still healthy.

Go with @Nosybear on this. He has a lot more experience than I do. :)

As Nosy said it's more likely they gave you some fermentable wort with that yeast and it was just continuing to ferment. If it wasn't and you'd got an infection it'd need to be a pretty big one for you to get gushing within a few hours. So I'd say better than 90% chance it was just yeast actively fermenting rather than an infection.

Sounds like your sanitation practices are good so, I expect there were very few germs or wild yeast on the outside of the jar. So, no worries there. Plus, since the yeast gushed out of (not into) the mason jar, there is very little chance anything nasty crept into the jar. So even fewer worries. And I'm sure the brewery gave you good healthy yeast. So I would use it with total confidence. Also, the fact that it gushed out proves that pressure was building up. So good thing you cracked the lid on it!

Back