Dry hopping.

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Will be dry hopping for the first time this weekend. I'm planning on putting so
whole hops in the secondary before racking. Alternatively, I could add pellet hops after.

for those that have done this before, is one method better than the other?

I think you are going to get many different answers!!

But let me +1 what Ben said. I dry hop in primary about 3-5 days before packaging. Depends on the beer/hops/yeast but mainly depends on fermentation. Once I think the yeast is in cleanup mode is when I add the pellets. I get good results with this process and see no reason to move to secondary. (Thankfully, because I'm too lazy for secondary.) :)

No idea what the best method is because I'm sure there isnt a one dry-hop fits all process.

/goes for popcorn awaiting all the replies/

If I dry hopped the primary, I could add pellet hops through the valve for the milk line. Would be very little oxygen exposure to the beer.

I would have to open the lid for whole hops.

Milk line? o_O

And hops aid in scrubbing out oxygen.

When you dry hop is dependent on several factors as mentioned above, so there’s not just one answer to that question. With all due respect, you might want to dive into YouTube videos, books (Palmer), etc. and you will be far better prepared.

Milk line? o_O

And hops aid in scrubbing out oxygen.

When you dry hop is dependent on several factors as mentioned above, so there’s not just one answer to that question. With all due respect, you might want to dive into YouTube videos, books (Palmer), etc. and you will be far better prepared.

I use 10 gallon milker machine buckets for fermenting. Hence the name.

Add the pellets just like you would the cones as fermentation is winding down and you'll be good. Most of us aren't going to know what the milk line is, but I guess if it's easy enough, go for it.

If I dry hopped the primary, I could add pellet hops through the valve for the milk line. Would be very little oxygen exposure to the beer.

When I dry hop, I unscrew the lid of my Speidel with the airlock attached, dump the hops in the nice sized hole at the top of the fermenter and then screw the lid back on. Takes about 15 seconds.

But don't tell the oxygen police!

I honestly haven't noticed any issues, just some great flavor and aroma in the finished beer.

When I dry hop, I unscrew the lid of my Speidel with the airlock attached, dump the hops in the nice sized hole at the top of the fermenter and then screw the lid back on. Takes about 15 seconds.

But don't tell the oxygen police!

I honestly haven't noticed any issues, just some great flavor and aroma in the finished beer.

Popped off the lid and dumped in 2 ounces of whole cluster...think I was over thinking it. A little too ADD for my own good sometimes.

I would personally do pellets. If your able to cold crash to drop them when your ready to keg or bottle that would be ideal. I’ve had some bad luck with whole hops in small batches.

I started to look for information on this issue, but really how many people there are and how many opinions. I will experiment.

I started to look for information on this issue, but really how many people there are and how many opinions. I will experiment.
Yep. Ask two brewers about dry hopping, you get four opinions. Scott Janish's book on IPAs is a good place to start for scientifically backed info, unfortunately, there's not a lot of science on it.

I know mine is going to sit an extra week with the hops in it, no time to keg it this weekend. Maybe I'll do a 2nd dry hop addition just for the hell of it. I've got an ounce of Galaxy I don't have a purpose for right now.

Galaxy! Spendy stuff that!
Spike Er' Duke! She's headed for the rhubarb!

Personally I like to add pellets, wait 3-5 days, cold crash overnight then bottle. But it depends on what your making. Hazy IPA you want to add a dry hop while there is fermentation going on, and then usually again after it has stopped. So really there is no right or wrong. Just get the hops on the beer.

Back