Fermenting Process

Brewer #285108

Trial Member
Reaction score
John Q. Adams Marblehead Lager (NB Kit)
recipe

I am brewing my first brew. I am currently on week 5 of the fermenting process using my Fermentasaurus and I've run into an issue. I have emptied the sediment container underneath twice but there appears to be blockage and will not refill with sediment that is currently collecting in the main tank.
1) Is this a big deal?
2) How many times should I empty the sediment collector?
3) What is the process of priming sugar? It says to add 5 oz priming sugar? Do I mix it? Do I stir it? So let it settle?

Dave,

I wouldn't worry too much about it. The sediment is not a big deal - primary reason to bottom dump as far as I can see is to reuse yeast. As far as priming, mix it with a couple of cups of water, boil it, then add it at the time you're packaging the beer. Do stir, otherwise stratification could be an issue.

I run all of my fermentations without dumping any trub. A layer of yeast settles over it and I don't end up with off-flavors.

For the priming sugar, do what Nosybear suggests and mix the sugar and boil it. I pour it into the bottom of the bottling bucket first, and then pour the beer in quickly over the top of it, resulting in natural mixing. This usually takes cares of any stratification issues.

Post fermentation, the beer needs to be treated gently to avoid introducing oxygen which causes oxidation in your beer. So, stir without splashing and personally I would avoid pouring beer into the bottling bucket. I don't know how that can be done without splashing.

Oh my yes, don't pour it, syphon it, and make sure the hose goes all the way to the bottom of the bucket. Even best if it lays in the bottom of the bucket curled around, this will create a stirring effect. Use a small (3/8") inside diameter hose so it doesn't flow fast enough to create a whirlpool.

Extra special care should be taken with sanitation!!!

I should have probably defined pouring a bit better. I use a long hose and drain the beer into the bottom of the bucket. This creates enough velocity to stir the sugar solution in without splashing.

Post fermentation, the beer needs to be treated gently to avoid introducing oxygen which causes oxidation in your beer. So, stir without splashing and personally I would avoid pouring beer into the bottling bucket. I don't know how that can be done without splashing.
I flush the bottling bucket with CO2. Agreed, don't pour the beer, siphon it. If you don't have CO2 available and can't avoid it, a little splashing is not going to DOOM your beer but be as gentle as practical.

I flush the bottling bucket with CO2. Agreed, don't pour the beer, siphon it. If you don't have CO2 available and can't avoid it, a little splashing is not going to DOOM your beer but be as gentle as practical.
The yeast will scavenge small amounts of oxygen in the beer during the carbonation process.

There are a lot of discussions about aeration and oxidation. Some brewers will claim nothing will ruin beer like hot side aeration. Others argue that you need to aerate after the boil for the yeast to thrive. While I try to be reasonably careful with these things, over a couple of decades, I have not found any significant differences due to aeration during any part of the process. However, YMMV.

Back