Temperature Change Calculator

cmaxwell

Premium Member
Reaction score
Would be good to have a calculator to tell me how long I need to leave a 20c 19L keg in a 2c fridge for the beer to get to 2c.

That would depend on the shape and size of the fermenter and how well the air is circulated, etc. That being said, if you can keep notes on how long it takes for your system, you’ll know the next time as the cooling time for your equipment should be consistent.

Last edited:
That would depend on the shape and size of the fermenter and how well the air is circulated, etc. That being said, if you can keep notes on how long it takes for your system, you’ll know the next time as the cooling time for your equipment should be consistent.

Corny kegs are pretty similar in size and construction right?

Also I am sure that there are only a handful of profiles for circulation that could be used. Wouldn't need to be perfect but surely this is not an impossible calculator.

Corny kegs are pretty similar in size and construction right?

Also I am sure that there are only a handful of profiles for circulation that could be used. Wouldn't need to be perfect but surely this is not an impossible calculator.
Well I can’t speak for BF, but not everyone will use a corny keg. So that doesn’t simplify. Plus you still have to consider whether it’s a freezer or a fridge (cooling times may differ) and is the air moving, how much space... etc etc. As I mentioned before, it’ll likely be more accurate with your own measurements.

Different size cornies as well.
Dimensions and cooling capacity of fridge would also be variables.

Curious, why do you want to calculate how long this takes?

Different size cornies as well.
Dimensions and cooling capacity of fridge would also be variables.

Curious, why do you want to calculate how long this takes?

In want to know how long I need to leave a keg in my fridge before I add geletin - without pulling a glass or two to check temps.

It will also depend on the cycling of your particular fridge/keezer. The 2C reading is not going to be constant. I'm not sure if this is something BF is willing to create, I'll leave that to @Yooper if she think there's a big enough need for something like this.

However, the milk the funk facebook group had created a coolship calculator awhile ago based on newtons laws of cooling that should be an okay approximation.

The blue cells are input, the green cells are calculated values. To edit, and enter your data, you will need to make a copy of the sheet or download it. I've removed the surface air heat coefficient, was previously 12, and updated the input values to your situation. It estimates approximately 12 hours to get to 3C, ~17.5 hours to get to 2.5 C, and an infinite amount of time to get to 2C due to the formula being used.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eVJUwj0e8k5xrP18Q3sBgZ3DrNzCQZWsNi8rZaDb4aE/edit?usp=sharing

tl;dr Leave it in there for a day.

With all the variables described above, I believe you will be better off doing some equipment testing with temperature checks periodically until you reach your desired temps. Document them and that’ll be more accurate than a “generic” type calculator that would be difficult to make accurate for everyone.

In want to know how long I need to leave a keg in my fridge before I add geletin - without pulling a glass or two to check temps.

If you're putting it in the fridge at room temperature, overnight works just fine. I use gelatin at 40F and get crystal clear beer.

With all the variables described above, I believe you will be better off doing some equipment testing with temperature checks periodically until you reach your desired temps. Document them and that’ll be more accurate than a “generic” type calculator that would be difficult to make accurate for everyone.

Yes, that's the way I'm leaning too unless someone can change my mind.

Back