Brew Session - No Efficiency?

AHarper

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Well I know I'm bad but I wasn't aware I was this bad...
My latest brew session has some strange results for Efficiency and I don't believe it. I have no idea why the system is saying this though. Answers please as it has me stumped...

upload_2019-11-25_17-35-21.png

Summary of recipe:
upload_2019-11-25_17-35-54.png

Now the only thing I may have got wrong is the setting for Mash Thickness. The listed value as listed was from a previous brew. The actual thickness was 4.6 litres/kg. This time round I used one single mash volume at 28 litres and 2 litres as a "sparge" amount but actually used that as top up before the boil.

upload_2019-11-25_18-9-24.png

Fermentables are there - both with a DP value.

upload_2019-11-25_17-36-13.png

Well that's an odd one. @Yooper can you take a look at this recipe? @AHarper would you be able to make the recipe public so I can look as well?

Out of curiosity what happens if you set a mash complete log entry?

I updated the Mash Thickness on the recipe and saved it BUT this was not reflected in the Water Requirements section of the Brew Session.
When does this calculation section get updated - IF AT ALL - during the update of the session? I would have thought that any updates to the recipe and brew session WHILE IT IS STILL ONGOING should be interactive. Am I misinterpreting what is going on here?
upload_2019-11-25_18-22-55.png

Regarding the water requirements in general, I believe there's a request in place to get all of the volume calculations on the same page.

Alright, for custom fermentables there's a checkbox for "mashed" that needs to be selected. That got it to work for me on mobile at least.

Side note, I had that dang other ingredients unit error for like ten minutes just now. Had to reload page to get it to go away.

Alright, for custom fermentables there's a checkbox for "mashed" that needs to be selected. That got it to work for me on mobile at least.

Side note, I had that dang other ingredients unit error for like ten minutes just now. Had to reload page to get it to go away.

OK Thanks I will take a look

OK I have updated MY INVENTORY to include all Fermentables with a DP set to Mashable - using the check box as you suggested. Well spotted. Other recipes may now work properly too - at least I hope so.

As for this one the brew session has not updated as a result of me checking the malts. I suspect the whole session has to be deleted and stated again... unless you know differently?

Mash Thickness still doesn't update in the Water Requirements section. Redoing the whole Session would probably work as it will be a progressive calculation with a starting point from when the BrewIt tab is hit. I suspect all parameters are taken then and there is no going back once you have started.

There's a button in the brew session on the edit tab for something along the lines of "reload brew steps". That should work.

There's a button in the brew session on the edit tab for something along the lines of "reload brew steps". That should work.

OK Thanks for that ino - I think I have it now. Some stages of input now manual were not previously required but now I have followed the rules it is coming together..

I think it is working now.

Glad we got it figured out. Let me know if there's any further issues!

Not sure if this ties in with this thread so forgive me I'm just gunna tack it on the end here.
But I brewed this recipe today.
https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/919914/slightly-sober
And for some reason my brew percentages have gone wacko
Screenshot_20191207-190137_Samsung Internet.jpg

This is my inputs
Screenshot_20191207-190152_Samsung Internet.jpg

Hope that helps I know I got more than 20% efficiency.
I brewed yesterday and none of this happened have I drunk too much:confused:lol!

I'm guessing it's the conversion and mash numbers that's causing that final efficiency number. Those two are insanely large. Something in the recipe?

Just taking a quick peek at the recipe, two of the custom grains are unchecked for "mash" which I'm fairly certain is throwing it off.

I'll double check in a bit after I get some coffee in me.

Checking those mashed boxes changes the OG to 1.046, from 1.048. This is due to the brewhouse efficiency only being applied to mashed grains, and not unmashed fermentables.

Yup that seems to have fixed it. There's a little weirdness still though with your numbers:

the conversion is a little high (102.5, typical average values are 92-95 for most brewers). This may be due to slightly different malt specs, like the PPG being slightly different from the recipe, or an extra 100 grams may have been miss measured for the grain. Or The measurements may be off a little, like if it was 1.041 and actually 28.5 or something like that would give a more expected number.

The preboil and ending kettle efficiencies are different, where they should be the same for almost all recipes.

Attachments

• Trialben Efficiency.PNG
    Trialben Efficiency.PNG
    42.2 KB · Views: 100
Checking those mashed boxes changes the OG to 1.046, from 1.048. This is due to the brewhouse efficiency only being applied to mashed grains, and not unmashed fermentables.

Yup that seems to have fixed it. There's a little weirdness still though with your numbers:

the conversion is a little high (102.5, typical average values are 92-95 for most brewers). This may be due to slightly different malt specs, like the PPG being slightly different from the recipe, or an extra 100 grams may have been miss measured for the grain. Or The measurements may be off a little, like if it was 1.041 and actually 28.5 or something like that would give a more expected number.

The preboil and ending kettle efficiencies are different, where they should be the same for almost all recipes.
Cheers priceless so was something selected malts as late additions that's weird because I'm sure their all down in fermentables section and I'm sure I didn't click on late addition box.
Them numbers in your link seem more normal.

I consistently get conversion efficiency 100%+ so either I'm consistently over weighing out the grains or adding less mash liquid:rolleyes:. I completely ignore this and rely more on my preboil as an indicator how my efficiency is looking.
Final gravity came in at 1.050 so that reflects an expected preboil gravity of 1.046 getting points in the boil.

No doubt there is measurement error but injustice couldnt make sense of them ultra high and low percentages especially when previous days brew targets were pretty spot on.

Not necessarily a late addition, but custom fermentables, in your cace "Australian - Pale ale", and "Australian - Vienna" are not being mashed. Click that checkbox, and you should be good to go.

For the conversion efficiency, I would guess that the most likely culprit if this is a reoccuring situation, is that your common base malt(s) have a higher PPG than is in the recipe. It may be just a couple % off. You'd have to get the lot # and maltster spec sheet for it, or do your own mini congress mash to get an accurate number, but it's probably not worth the effort as long as your OG is hitting the target.

Last edited:

Back