Just got my results back from the Badger Brewoff

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I was surprised that Dirty Bohemian actually scored better than I thought it would. 32.5 out of 50, not too bad for my first all grain brew. The judges seemed to find the same flaws in it that I did, slightly acetaldehyde, not quite clear enough and head retention could have been better. I suspected that I racked it too soon, and I have made some changes to address the other problems. The batch I'm brewing now should be better.(Although it would probably get knocked for being a bit too dark in color).

Sticky Blonde had the same problems only a more so(25/50 I think they were generous with that one), I firmly believe that Blonde on Blonde that I replaced it with will be worlds better

Good to get solid feedback anyway. I'm still learning this, but I think I'm on the right track.

Brewing for almost 2 years now, haven't entered any competitions yet... my club however is having an exchange competition. I am entering 12 bottles of my Christmas Ale this coming week (just bottled it today). I may get feedback on it before I actually try it myself. Planning on letting this one condition for a month.

Brewing for almost 2 years now, haven't entered any competitions yet... my club however is having an exchange competition. I am entering 12 bottles of my Christmas Ale this coming week (just bottled it today). I may get feedback on it before I actually try it myself. Planning on letting this one condition for a month.
Good ideah on the feedback thing always interesting.

Onya Bulins for having a go onwards and upwards.

I did a lot of competing last year and won a decent amount of medals, but I kind of lost interest the more I went through and realized how subjective the judging is.

I did a lot of competing last year and won a decent amount of medals, but I kind of lost interest the more I went through and realized how subjective the judging is.
Maybe I was over thinking it, but when we were pondering about entering into the local county fair home brew competition a few years back, I asked my wife, what happens if we win, and what if we lose (win/lose is prolly a poor choice of words). My point was, if we “win” (get a medal), would that change how we brew... wanting to brew to compete. Conversely, if we “lost” (didn’t medal), would that be indicative that we need to find a new hobby. Ultimately, a few days after the discussion, I forgot all about it, and never came closer to competing ever since. I think it’s cool that there are competitions, as it, if nothing else, pushes the envelope of brewing and we all benefit as completion is always good for industry. And we get great recipes from proven winners. I’ve said it before, but that’s what’s great about homebrewing... the diversity of what we all want from this great hobby.

As a judge, I agree, it's subjective. But I can also tell you, we taste a lot of bad beers. You can love or hate them but styles allow us to group beers by similar characteristics (again, subject to interpretation). I've tasted beers that would be very good in one style that were not to style in the catagory entered. One that comes to mind, tragically, is a pretty good Helles entered as an American Light Lager. It was a good beer but it scored poorly because it was supposed to be the flavorless stuff the typical American Football fan drinks because it has cheerleaders or hard bodies playing beach volleyball or very pretty draft horses. I don't do as well as I might in competitions because I brew middle of the road stuff but that's a story for another thread.

Back