Irish Red

Bulin's Milker Bucket Brews

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
With 50 pounds of Viking Red Active, I figured I should start working on a recipe to highlight it. Gonna take a long time to use it up as a specially addition to "Dirty Bohemian" so I started working on "Manky Little Sally" Irish Red. Here's what I have so far...

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/851369/manky-little-sally

Any suggestions? I'd like to brew this for Saint Pat's this year.

Looks a bit light on SRM. What does %100 red active look like that'd be a good starting point.

It looks like you're jumping on the Viking band wagon too. I just updated my fermentables data to include all of the Viking malts that MoreBeer sells. I've been using their Extra Pale 2-row for a few months, along with a few other Viking offerings, as MoreBeer has increased the varieties they carry, and like the results. My last order, which I received yesterday, included their Pale 2-row, Caramel 50 (20L), Caramel 150 (60L) and Wheat Malt. Please let us know the results you get with the Red Active. Might be worth buying a sack to do a few single malt batches.

It looks like you're jumping on the Viking band wagon too. I just updated my fermentables data to include all of the Viking malts that MoreBeer sells. I've been using their Extra Pale 2-row for a few months, along with a few other Viking offerings, as MoreBeer has increased the varieties they carry, and like the results. My last order, which I received yesterday, included their Pale 2-row, Caramel 50 (20L), Caramel 150 (60L) and Wheat Malt. Please let us know the results you get with the Red Active. Might be worth buying a sack to do a few single malt batches.

Not as clear as it could be in this picture but, 27% gave a nice red tint to Pilsner malt.

Attachments

• IMGA0235.jpg
    IMGA0235.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 154
Not as clear as it could be in this picture but, 27% gave a nice red tint to Pilsner malt.

Thanks for posting the pic.
I'm really more interested in the flavor than color. With the exception of using Carafa or Roasted Barley, I've really fond nothing that imparts a red hue. Most everything else tends more towards amber, so it would be nice for aesthetics to get more red as well.

Thanks for posting the pic.
I'm really more interested in the flavor than color. With the exception of using Carafa or Roasted Barley, I've really fond nothing that imparts a red hue. Most everything else tends more towards amber, so it would be nice for aesthetics to get more red as well.
I agree on tough getting red Bob. Can’t add dark malts in small amounts and get there in my opinion. You need to sneak up on it with c-40 and maybe red-x or cara red. When you hit it, it’s a thing of beauty.

I agree on tough getting red Bob. Can’t add dark malts in small amounts and get there in my opinion. You need to sneak up on it with c-40 and maybe red-x or cara red. When you hit it, it’s a thing of beauty.
Something I can honestly say I've not achieved yet. Will have to get on to this:rolleyes:.

I've gotten there with C-40 or 60 and a couple ounces of Carafa 2? It is indeed a sight to behold.

I don't know how Irish it's going to be, but I've decided to do 90/10 with Honey malt. Bitter to about 23ibu with Cluster and add 8 ibu of cascade late. Will pitch it with US-05. Shooting for Saturday, going to be a while before anything else is ready to drink and I'm losing my patience to make something good.

I don't know how Irish it's going to be, but I've decided to do 90/10 with Honey malt. Bitter to about 23ibu with Cluster and add 8 ibu of cascade late. Will pitch it with US-05. Shooting for Saturday, going to be a while before anything else is ready to drink and I'm losing my patience to make something good.

I wouldn't worry about it being Irish. After vacationing there this Summer, I can tell you that they're trying to brew authentic American Ales. Some of the breweries are doing a great job of it too.

Back