Turkey Day Cranberry Belgian Ale

Nosybear

Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen, for your consideration....

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/902686/cranberry-belgian-ale

It's a cranberry flavored Belgian ale, cribbed from The Naked Brewer, some more advanced techniques employed. Yes, it's extract and yes, it's 2.5 gallons. The cranberry puree and cranberry juice is an either-or, I won't use both. Yes, it is for Thanksgiving dinner.

Ladies and gentlemen, for your consideration....

It's a cranberry flavored Belgian ale, cribbed from The Naked Brewer, some more advanced techniques employed. Yes, it's extract and yes, it's 2.5 gallons. The cranberry puree and cranberry juice is an either-or, I won't use both. Yes, it is for Thanksgiving dinner.
Use the juice, it will clarify quicker with a chill and if it was me I would skip the cane sugar. No need for a strong abv for a dinner beer. Aunt Mable might over indulge:D

I like the idea even if I have no idea what it might taste like! I agree with Head First to bring the ABV down a bit, unless you envision this as more of an after dinner liqueur type beer. If that's the case, then no holds barred!

Good luck, keep us posted.

Use the juice, it will clarify quicker with a chill and if it was me I would skip the cane sugar. No need for a strong abv for a dinner beer. Aunt Mable might over indulge:D
I got the juice today. It's tough to find 100% cranberry juice! I may back off the ABV a bit, depends on how drunk I want to get our friends!

Dropped the sugar to 5 oz. That brings it in right about 6%. I may be spending the night in Colorado Springs but hey, it's about the strength I'd like in this kind of beer. The sugar is there because in my experience, extract beers tend to be a bit heavy on the body.

Last edited:
I got the juice today. It's tough to find 100% cranberry juice! I may back off the ABV a bit, depends on how drunk I want to get our friends!

Dropped the sugar to 5 oz. That brings it in right about 6%. I may be spending the night in Colorado Springs but hey, it's about the strength I'd like in this kind of beer. The sugar is there because in my experience, extract beers tend to be a bit heavy on the body.

sugar is always a good idea with extract. I used to use around 1 around a lb per 5 gallon batch with lme

Ah smart man I was wondering why the sucrose. Interesting beverage one id not likely brew myself but that's why I love this forum gives you new ideas and tests your brewing boundaries. Looking forward to the results;)

Well it is a celebration day, over eat and over indulge on a wonderful berry brew!

Sounds like it could be tasty, but I keep the fruit flavors for my ciders. Hoping to have my Watermelon Rhubarb cider ready by Thanksgiving.

A follow up - I decided to add some orange to make this kind of like SWAMBO's cranberry-orange relish. It was a good call! I now have a winner of a beer for Thanksgiving dinner. The add was 2.5 oz Amoretti Blood Orange Puree. At packaging I'll check to see if there's enough sweetness and if not, add some lactose. But it tastes very good as is!

Sounds like so yummy and tasty, I will definitely try it today, well I already get many deals for thanksgiving from black Friday sale on Thanksgiving day, from here I get many deals, well can you share with me the recipe of this juice?

Last edited:
It's quite tasty. Remind me tomorrow when I am at my computer and I'll share the recipe.

The link is at the top of the thread. I'll repost it for you....

Mine, due to the tartness of the cranberry juice, came out almost tasting like a sour. The cranberry flavor is low but gives that certain something that almost identifies as "funk". Will let you know tomorrow how it pairs with our Thanksgiving dinner.

Back