Loki's Midnight Stout

weazelwacker

Premium Member
Reaction score
Ladies, Gents, or Whatevers

Last year I started a tradition in which I brew a stout outside, in January, at midnight, in freezing temps, for fun. Call it what you will, the experience is amazing. This year I plan on brewing on brewing the following:

Planned:
OG: 1.110 FG: 1.026 ABV 11.02% IBU: 78.64

Mash @ 152 for 60 min
120 min Boil

8# Marris Otter
6# 2- Row
4# Malted Rye
4# Chocolate Rye
4# Roasted Barely
1# Rice Hulls

HOPS:
2 oz Galena @ 30 min
1 oz Chinook @ 15 min
1 oz Fuggles @ 15 min

Fermented using OYL057- Hothead ale Kveik

Things will also be getting weird in secondary but no need to give up all the secrets.

That's a cool deal!
I have yet to do something with that high of a gravity. I have been thinking about doing a Wee Heavy, and doing a party gyle. I might just take your lead and tie all of that in with a midnight brew. Will have to look for a full moon in January to do it by...

Ladies, Gents, or Whatevers

Last year I started a tradition in which I brew a stout outside, in January, at midnight, in freezing temps, for fun. Call it what you will, the experience is amazing. This year I plan on brewing on brewing the following:

Planned:
OG: 1.110 FG: 1.026 ABV 11.02% IBU: 78.64

Mash @ 152 for 60 min
120 min Boil

8# Marris Otter
6# 2- Row
4# Malted Rye
4# Chocolate Rye
4# Roasted Barely
1# Rice Hulls

HOPS:
2 oz Galena @ 30 min
1 oz Chinook @ 15 min
1 oz Fuggles @ 15 min

Fermented using OYL057- Hothead ale Kveik

Things will also be getting weird in secondary but no need to give up all the secrets.

Sounds tasty. Have you done a rye before? Curious about the flavor.

Friday January 10th 2020 is a full moon. If I brew something witchy on this date it will be ready for Superbowl Sunday, hmmmm

Sounds tasty. Have you done a rye before? Curious about the flavor.

Sorry for the late response. I brew this one last year, but I didnt try it as a straight stout. Last year, after primary was done, I added a few #'s of shreaded beets and some brett. After 30 days i racked off the beets and on to some oak chips that had been soaking in Jameson for the 30 days. Left it on the oak for 30 days. It turned out incredible IMHO.

Back