Big Brew Small Batch

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Hey folks, I want to brew a big ABV beer but in a 2.5 gal batch. Would one pack of dry or liquid yeast be enough to get close to 8.5 - 9%? I have read that once you are at the OG of 1.070 or higher 2 pitches are usually needed. Your wisdom is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hey folks, I want to brew a big ABV beer but in a 2.5 gal batch. Would one pack of dry or liquid yeast be enough to get close to 8.5 - 9%? I have read that once you are at the OG of 1.070 or higher 2 pitches are usually needed. Your wisdom is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Use the yeast calculator! One pack should be enough - they left out the "5 gallons of" 1.07 OG wort. The metric is cells/milliliter so volume matters.

I am brewing a 9% Belgian strong right now. 2.5 gallon batch. I am using a single packet of Safale T-58. No issues.

One pack of dry is good for an ale, 2-3 for a lager, assuming a gravity of 1.080 or so in a 2.5 gallon batch.

Liquid yeast has a lot less yeast than dry, especially if it’s a couple months old. 50 billion per pack for liquid (2 months old) and 200 billion for dry when properly hydrated.

It depends on the beer your brewing.

Back