Low ABV

Over The Cliff Brewing

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
Just kegged my "end of summer" ipa, the og was 1.053 was looking for 1.019 fg. My fg is 1.026. I used London ale 1318 yeast. What do you think happened or didn't happen?

Hard to say really, may have mashed to high, yeast may not have had enough health, it might not be done.

I've gotten 80-81% attenuation with London 1318, and it's "expected" attenuation (according to Wyeast) is around 73%, but the last two times I've used a full 2L starter. I was worried about overpitching, but every single time i have ended up within a point of my FG. 1318 is not finicky like some Belgian strains, but it can benefit from oxygenation and a starter, a single pack just won't work with an OG over 1.050 in my experience.

Same NEIPA recipe each year:
In 2017 got about 75% with a single pitch, 1.060 OG, no oxygenation.
In 2018 got about 77-78% with a 2L starter, 1.061 OG, no oxygenation.
In 2019 got about 80-81% with a 2L starter, 1.060 OG, and 60 second oxygenation.

Hope that helps!

GCB

I think you have a yeast problem, it’s not likely a mashing problem would cause that low of attenuation.

I reckon you under pitched... My rule of thumb with London ale is two packs or a starter if over 1.050... If the pack was very fresh, one pack might be enough.

I reckon you under pitched... My rule of thumb with London ale is two packs or a starter if over 1.050... If the pack was very fresh, one pack might be enough.
If you use the Yeast Pitch calculator on this site, you can calculate how much you need and how much you have. Great tool!

Back