Tequila Barrel Aged Belgian Hefewiezen

Had an interesting idea for a Frankenstein beer. It's really a Hefe Grain bill on steroids with a 1/2 pound of cane sugar, a belgian yeast, all being barrel aged with tequila.Thoughts?

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homeb...lgian-imperial-hefeweizen-tequila-barrel-aged
Base recipe is a Saison or a Dubbel, should work nicely. I don't know about adding the tequila flavors to either, though. Due to an unfortunate and rather messy incident in college, I've been unable to stand the smell of tequila for over 40 years.

Are you thinking of a tequila tincture approach? Soaking some oak in tequila and then adding it at packaging? If the tequila is going to be the hero flavour, then get something good. If it's just part of the balance, get something you're happy drinking straight (or however you drink it).

A nice Repasado would probably be a good bet. It is an amber tequila with a real nice flavor. I need to get another bottle of that, I keep it with my Scotch collection, a good one is sip worthy.

Don Julio Reposada tasting notes:

Aged for eight months in white American oak barrels, this is a fine example of reposado. Golden in colour with an enticing bouquet of citrus, stone fruits and spice. Smooth and elegant on the palate with flavours of pear, dark chocolate, vanilla, hints of cinnamon coming through on a warm silky finish. Sip on its own

Are you thinking of a tequila tincture approach? Soaking some oak in tequila and then adding it at packaging? If the tequila is going to be the hero flavour, then get something good. If it's just part of the balance, get something you're happy drinking straight (or however you drink it).
I'm trying to figure out which tequila has been used successfully in a commercial example. Did some research online for various beers and wasn't able to find out where the barrels were sourced from. Probably going to get a middle of the road reposado or anjeo.

Don Julio Reposada tasting notes:

Aged for eight months in white American oak barrels, this is a fine example of reposado. Golden in colour with an enticing bouquet of citrus, stone fruits and spice. Smooth and elegant on the palate with flavours of pear, dark chocolate, vanilla, hints of cinnamon coming through on a warm silky finish. Sip on its own
I used to drink that and their anjeo. Then I tried three generations from sauza. Just had more flavor to my liking.

Base recipe is a Saison or a Dubbel, should work nicely. I don't know about adding the tequila flavors to either, though. Due to an unfortunate and rather messy incident in college, I've been unable to stand the smell of tequila for over 40 years.
Out of curiosity, why do you say it's either a saison or a dubbel? I've never made either one of those, so now I'm kind of curious.

Out of curiosity, why do you say it's either a saison or a dubbel? I've never made either one of those, so now I'm kind of curious.

to me it looks like a Belgian strong or triple with wheat or something especially with that yeast.

I like silver tequila so that’s what I’ll eventually be using in mine. I figure the other tequilas have already been aged on wood so might as well age the silver on wood before adding it.

Back