Bottling from unitank using a pressure release valve

djskinner

Premium Member
Reaction score
When naturally carbonating the beer during secondary fermentation in an SS Brewtech Unitank and using a pressure release valve I need to set the dial to achieve the correct carbonation. Is there a calculator for this? The Ss Brewtech guidance doesn’t seem to give the same answer as the BF Keg carbonation calculator? The Unitank is at 10 psi and 20c and contains a British Bitter. The Bf Keg calculator suggests at 20c and 2.0 volumes psi should be 19.8 psi. However, the Unitank working pressure is a max 15 psi.
Many thanks for a steer on this.

When naturally carbonating the beer during secondary fermentation in an SS Brewtech Unitank and using a pressure release valve I need to set the dial to achieve the correct carbonation. Is there a calculator for this? The Ss Brewtech guidance doesn’t seem to give the same answer as the BF Keg carbonation calculator? The Unitank is at 10 psi and 20c and contains a British Bitter. The Bf Keg calculator suggests at 20c and 2.0 volumes psi should be 19.8 psi. However, the Unitank working pressure is a max 15 psi.
Many thanks for a steer on this.

For an english bitter 1.5 volumes of CO2 would be fine. So setting the PSV to 0.8 bar or 12 psi at 20 C should work fine.
I actually also have an SS Brewtech unitank, but I have replaced the PSV with one that goes up to 2 bars / 29 psi.

Back