Snapshot recipes tied to a parent recipe

BarbarianBrewer

Premium Member
Established Member
Reaction score
I have been tweaking a an Irish Red recipe over the past year. When I change one ingredient and brew it I only have two options. One option is to overwrite the original recipe, and lose the exact recipe for previous batches. The other option is to save a snapshot of the recipe, but then my tweaking of a single recipe gets blended in with every other recipe regardless of style, source, actually brewed or just thinking, etc.

I think that's what the snapshot version is for making changes to the parent recipie for a brew to see if you like the changes and if so eventually changing the parent recipie?

Sometimes I record any recipie changes I made in the notes section at bottom.

I think this is all in your or Ben's posts, but is the problem that you don't want to change the main recipe until after you've brewed and proved you like the change. So you do the change in a snapshot, but then struggle to find the snapshots in amongst the other snapshots and recipes?

If you're using the recipes page you could create a folder for your red and drag and drop the snapshots and the recipe into that folder.

Or you could turn off the snapshots in the recipe view (checkbox up the top near the sort drop down) and create a folder for the red snapshots in the brew sessions page and just look at past brews via the brew sessions page.

There's also the search function that could help you see all the snapshots and the recipe in either the recipes or brew sessions pages.

Some versioning options would be nice.

There's a lovely diff view in the premium plus subscription that got rolled out last night. About the only thing in that subscription that I'm interested in.

I think this is all in your or Ben's posts, but is the problem that you don't want to change the main recipe until after you've brewed and proved you like the change. So you do the change in a snapshot, but then struggle to find the snapshots in amongst the other snapshots and recipes?

If you're using the recipes page you could create a folder for your red and drag and drop the snapshots and the recipe into that folder.

Or you could turn off the snapshots in the recipe view (checkbox up the top near the sort drop down) and create a folder for the red snapshots in the brew sessions page and just look at past brews via the brew sessions page.

There's also the search function that could help you see all the snapshots and the recipe in either the recipes or brew sessions pages.

Yes, the difficulty lies in easily connecting all tweaks to a particular recipe. The parent recipe would have the best of all the child recipes. If you like a change, you update the parent recipe. If you don't, you leave it alone but, the child recipe remains for future reference. This can be done with snapshots but makes the recipe list look cluttered. I stopped using snapshots a while back but now, when I look at the recipe tied to a brew session from a year ago, I see my the current recipe as it exists today. I guess that is really the crux of the issue! So, I replace my parent-child idea with automatically saving a static copy of the recipe in each brew session.

Your idea of creating a recipe specific folder for snapshots is a good work-around to my problem.
Thanks Mark!

Yes, the difficulty lies in easily connecting all tweaks to a particular recipe. The parent recipe would have the best of all the child recipes. If you like a change, you update the parent recipe. If you don't, you leave it alone but, the child recipe remains for future reference. This can be done with snapshots but makes the recipe list look cluttered. I stopped using snapshots a while back but now, when I look at the recipe tied to a brew session from a year ago, I see my the current recipe as it exists today. I guess that is really the crux of the issue! So, I replace my parent-child idea with automatically saving a static copy of the recipe in each brew session.

Your idea of creating a recipe specific folder for snapshots is a good work-around to my problem.
Thanks Mark!
What about a change log, so we could see what we changed for a specific iteration starting with the initial recipe? A toggle "View Changes" could show or hide these so we could see a clean copy of what we are brewing at any specific time.

In the mean time, what I've always done is just duplicate a recipe with a version number or changed name. An example would be "Ogma Oatmeal stout" is my house parent recipe. When I want to make a variant, I duplicate the recipe and change the name slightly, "Ogma chocolate oatmeal stout" if it's a variant, or a slight tweak might be "Ogma v1.1" until it's tested.

I keep a paper record of every batch in a binder, works for me.

Back