RE: Blueberry Ale.

Charlie W

Premium Member
Reaction score
Update on the Blueberry Ale. I have to appropriate/ steal/ reference trialbens signature about time. After 2 weeks I tried one of my Blueberry Ales. Chilled the bottle to abt 50F. Not bad, a little sharp,not very smooth, and not a very good head. Yeah, yeah I said head. After another week, chilled to the same temp, nice initial blueberry on the tongue, then a nice dryness and hops and blueberry on the finish. trialben could not be more right. I tend to be impatient regarding my beers, but, patience is a virtue and I have proof that time is on our side. Rolling Stones....I am so old. i have to restrain my baser urges, at least when it comes to beer. All the best, Charlie.

Update on the Blueberry Ale. I have to appropriate/ steal/ reference trialbens signature about time. After 2 weeks I tried one of my Blueberry Ales. Chilled the bottle to abt 50F. Not bad, a little sharp,not very smooth, and not a very good head. Yeah, yeah I said head. After another week, chilled to the same temp, nice initial blueberry on the tongue, then a nice dryness and hops and blueberry on the finish. trialben could not be more right. I tend to be impatient regarding my beers, but, patience is a virtue and I have proof that time is on our side. Rolling Stones....I am so old. i have to restrain my baser urges, at least when it comes to beer. All the best, Charlie.
It's amazing what a little "time" can do for a beer. Heck don't get me wrong Charlie one and the beer brewed packaged and in my belly as quick as the rest of em I've actually got an ale carbed and fermented ready to guzzle that's 7 days old! But yeah wait a week or two and then it's really ready to serve.

You know that line I have there is from years ago before my brewing time. It's a quote from one of me fellow farm hands Graham other wise refered to by me as Grey-ham yep the sandwich type. He used to have a slow country drawl country Tasmanian Drawl that is (their stuck in the 50's down that way I recon ha ha?) Well his famous quote whilst working with him harvesting barassica seeds was "It's all Time it's alllllll tiiimmmmmeeee"!

Thought he musta been a brewer:D!

Update on Blueberry Ale. Sorry to be late..... After 3 weeks , as before nice initial blueberry, a little dry and nice blueberry finish. Not sweet, chilled to about 45F and smooth. However, went back and looked at brew session notes, wife complained that is was flat. She likes a little more fizz to it. Me, I think it is carbed to a cask ale level. Not much head but tastes very nice and smooth, after having it, not sure if I want it fizzier. Saw what happened re: priming sugar level and will fix it for her next time around. But, I really liked it! All the best, Charlie.

Sorry for the late reply. Yes that was a 5 gallon batch. Actually it was about a quart less than 5. Blueberries soaked up some of the beer I guess.

Blueberry ale update.... Found 3 bombers in the pantry, and chilled to around 45F and they were perfectly carbonated. trialben was right! Very nice long lasting rocky head.Time, time , time. Don't really have a warm area of the house. Everywhere is abt 69F. Basement is of course cooler. Smoother, bitterness has mellowed a bit and the blueberry flavor is still there.
Will be brewing again this coming weekend, because , dare I say it?. I have been working. Gonna make two batches of APA.

Back