REVERTED the OG/Batch size changes

Yooper

Administrator
Lifetime Member
Staff member
Established Member
Reaction score
While I am a bit chagrined at posting this, we heard you all loud and clear. The changes to the OG calculation impacted you all and you hated it.
The developers reverted that change back to the "old" way.
While we still want the most accurate calculations possible, we realized that this change negatively impacted the brewhouse efficiency which is what most of you use to formulate recipes.

Please let me know if you have any questions on this, and I'll be happy to answer them.

Crap, I was just getting to used to the new change because I do think it was helping me hitting my targets.

I may finish at 6.25 or 6.5 gallons at the end of the boil. It made since to check my gravity at that point instead of at 6 gallons in my fermenter for a hoppy beer.

What would you recommend I do now to calculate efficiency? I do love knowing my "brew house efficiency" but should I switch to kettle on the recipe and set it to 6.25 or 6.5?

Crap, I was just getting to used to the new change because I do think it was helping me hitting my targets.

I may finish at 6.25 or 6.5 gallons at the end of the boil. It made since to check my gravity at that point instead of at 6 gallons in my fermenter for a hoppy beer.

What would you recommend I do now to calculate efficiency? I do love knowing my "brew house efficiency" but should I switch to kettle on the recipe and set it to 6.25 or 6.5?

That's what I'm doing, setting it to kettle and adding the losses into the batch size and removing them from the equipment profile (though I supposed that's redundant as I've changed it to kettle).

Yep, switch to kettle if you're finishing with different amounts at the end of the boil. Although, if you're finishing with different amounts at the end of the boil, you could also be finishing with different amounts in the fermenter, so it would be the same. Does that make sense?
What I mean is, when I brew on a humid summer day, my boil off is less, so I do end up with more post-boil wort. But because I more wort, I may have a 5.75 gallon batch instead of a 5.5 gallon batch, so the efficiency is the same and doesn't change.

Back