Staging different boil times

Brewer #237578

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have a recipe for Berliner Weisse from Clawhammer Supply which calls for a 15min boil after mashing followed by cooling to 95F, adding lactic acid and lactobascillus, allowing the wort to sour over 24hrs then finally bringing it up to a boil again for 15mins. In other words two separated boil stages. Is this possible in Brewer's Friend?

I do a similar process when kettle souring. Here's an easier way rather than burdening the software to accomodate a relatively infrequent process: Calculate your boil-off rate in volume per hour. Divide that by four. Add that water back to your beer before starting the main boil or factor it in when creating your wort. Or extend the boil time in the Recipe Builder by 15 minutes. That will account for extended boil-off but will also affect your hop utilization due to the increase in brewing liquor. Easiest way is just to replace the boiled-off liquor, avoids utilization problems.

I don't add boil hops so I avoid Nosy's point. I just add the two boils together to work out the volumes.

I'm trying to figure out how it could work in the software without overly complicating it.
You can definitely create that in the 'brew steps', since they are completely customizable, but not sure how to get it to make sense in the recipe builder and not create issues for others.

I'm trying to figure out how it could work in the software without overly complicating it.
You can definitely create that in the 'brew steps', since they are completely customizable, but not sure how to get it to make sense in the recipe builder and not create issues for others.
My point exactly. It's easy, just replace the liquid you boiled off or account for it in the initial wort volume. The software will never be able to account for every possible scenario so sometimes a brewer is going to have to use their knowledge and maybe a little math.

By the way, how are those late sugar additions coming.... ;)

Coming...........but more complicated than it appears so it's a bit more digging than I would think.
I realize that one isn't simple. It's easy to do by hand using gravity points and proportions as long as you're not looking for six or more digits of precision.... ;)

What are your settings for trub and grain abs alll those things

Back