Dog Bisquits

thunderwagn

Trial Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a good recipe for dog bisquits using spent grains?

I do- but it's not exact. I take the grains, add enough peanut butter so that it's stirable, and then an egg or two and stir that. If it's sort of goopy, I add a tiny bit of flour so it holds together. Then I put it on a non-stick cookie sheet and dry/bake at 300 for about 45 minutes. Once they are firm, I turn the oven off and let them sit in there until they are completely dry.

My dog LOVES them. When I start making them, he sits near the kitchen entrance and stays at the stove until he gets one.
I first made this with this recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/spent-grain-make-your-best-friend-cookies.87097/ but I wanted less wheat flour in them so switched it up a bit.

I do- but it's not exact. I take the grains, add enough peanut butter so that it's stirable, and then an egg or two and stir that. If it's sort of goopy, I add a tiny bit of flour so it holds together. Then I put it on a non-stick cookie sheet and dry/bake at 300 for about 45 minutes. Once they are firm, I turn the oven off and let them sit in there until they are completely dry.

My dog LOVES them. When I start making them, he sits near the kitchen entrance and stays at the stove until he gets one.
I first made this with this recipe: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/spent-grain-make-your-best-friend-cookies.87097/ but I wanted less wheat flour in them so switched it up a bit.
Have you made them without peanut butter? We have a severe peanut allergy in the house unfortunately.

Have you made them without peanut butter? We have a severe peanut allergy in the house unfortunately.

I haven't- my dog likes that the best. But I don't see why you couldn't. You'd need more eggs and flour to make the binding, I'd think. More like making a meatloaf or something, to hold it all together.

I made a batch and subbed pumpkin for the peanut butter. I put them in before I went to bed at 195 and just left them till I got up (430am). They are dry and crunchy and the dogs love em!
I think I'm going to add these to my Christmas present list. I usually make everyone soaps and some kind jar or canned good. This will be a nice addition!

My dog LOVES pumpkin- good call on that instead of the peanut butter!
When he was on antibiotics a few years ago, and ended up with some colitis as a result, my vet suggested a diet of pumpkin, vanilla yogurt, and rice.

He loved it so much. One day, I was mixing the canned pumpkin into the vanilla yogurt, and thought "This smells so good- I have to have taste!". And it was very very good. There's really no point to that story, except to say that is the only time I was caught eating the dog's food.

My dog LOVES pumpkin- good call on that instead of the peanut butter!
When he was on antibiotics a few years ago, and ended up with some colitis as a result, my vet suggested a diet of pumpkin, vanilla yogurt, and rice.

He loved it so much. One day, I was mixing the canned pumpkin into the vanilla yogurt, and thought "This smells so good- I have to have taste!". And it was very very good. There's really no point to that story, except to say that is the only time I was caught eating the dog's food.

Our boxer loves pumpkin also. We had her on antibiotics and they suggested pretty much the same to us. Probiotics and pumpkin! Now it's just a regular part of our dogs (and house cat) diet.

I made another round of dog treats today only this time I used sunflower butter. It has the same consistency of peanut butter so it works well in place of peanut butter and yet no peanut anaphylactic shock worries. I searched around and found no issues with dogs and sunflower butter so good to go.
The dogs love em!
20190927_192240.jpg

Oh yeah, we ordered dog bone treat cookie cutters off Amazon for dirt cheap.

Yep they look pro here my first attempt I think I made the mixture too wet I used 4 eggs (bloody idiot) and I went with the pumpkin theme (No peanut butter in stock).
I baked 150 forgot about it panicked turned oven off left all night still a bit cake like in the middle so their back in the oven for some more drying. Sorry dog no fancy shapes from me Lol:D.
20190929_070729.jpg

Yep they look pro here my first attempt I think I made the mixture too wet I used 4 eggs (bloody idiot) and I went with the pumpkin theme (No peanut butter in stock).
I baked 150 forgot about it panicked turned oven off left all night still a bit cake like in the middle so their back in the oven for some more drying. Sorry dog no fancy shapes from me Lol:D.View attachment 7392
I found the pumpkin is plenty wet enough to not need more eggs. In fact, I had to use more flour. I'm sure your hound wont mind one bit!

Brownie anyone?

Back