Clean Equipment

jmac67%

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have been cleaning my equipment with an "oxyclean" cleaner. Is there any problem putting my equipment in a dishwasher?

Depends on the equipment. I put spoons, measuring cups, and other small items in the dishwasher. Brew kettle and fermenter are too big. If I'm using the equipment post-boil, all of it gets sprayed down with Star-san before use.

I have no clue if rinse aid or scented detergents would be an issue or not?

Oxyclean type cleaners work really well, there is no real need to switch. My concern with using the dishwasher is the possibility of detergent residue on the equipment that might get into the beer, and especially residue from drying aids such as Jet Dry. I don't have a dishwasher myself, so I don't know if this is doable, but I would think that running a load with an oxy cleaner in place of detergent might do a good job on your equipment, but this is pure speculation on my part.

I have no clue if rinse aid or scented detergents would be an issue or not?
Rinse aids can (emphasis) cause head retention problems. Scented cleaners can leave a distracting scent. Best bet is to use only unscented cleaners and avoid rinse aids. The heat dry cycle is great for sanitizing bottles and glassware.

Oxyclean Free in 120 degree F water works great.

I hear these dishwashers have a "Sanitze" function maube for cleaning baby's bottles. I too don't and never have had a dishwasher we use the human kind at my place :).
I use %100 sodium percarbonate for cleaning here but I'm getting info online that it doesn't do as great a job with hop oils and grease so maybe some Oxi Clean which I know has the bubbly stuff in it may be a better around option.

I see Kegland here in Aus put out a cleaning and sanitizing video on different cleaners got my info from there so take it with a grain of soap:p.

Last edited:
I use dishwashers sometimes, but try to keep it down. More and more detergents, not just dish washer detergents, are being designed to leave an odour on the items washed.

I hear these dishwashers have a "Sanitze" function maube for cleaning baby's bottles. I too don't and never have had a dishwasher we use the human kind at my place :).
I use %100 sodium percarbonate for cleaning here but I'm getting info online that it doesn't do as great a job with hop oils and grease so maybe some Oxi Clean which I know has the bubbly stuff in it may be a better around option.

I see Kegland here in Aus put out a cleaning and sanitizing video on different cleaners got my info from there so take it with a grain of soap:p.

Unscented Oxy works great. Oxyclean Free like @BOB357 posted above is what I always use. I usually have the wife order a big container of it off Amazon.

I use the dishwasher whenever I can. I put my strainer and stainless immersion chiller through all the time, have had no problems at all. It does a nice job and it's easy.

You don't put the chiller in the boil with ten or so to go?
Yeah, but it removes all the hop debris from the previous batch. I could just rinse it off, but I just throw it in the dishwasher and it comes out like new.

Unscented Oxy works great. Oxyclean Free like @BOB357 posted above is what I always use. I usually have the wife order a big container of it off Amazon.
Yeah I use oxyclean every other time cleaning my fermentor. I find you just gotta rinse it more because of the suds whereas the 100% percarbonate almost comes out completely with first rinse.

I usually do a just straight tap water cold rinse then a hot water rinse then a boiling. Maybe over the top but can't on new PET conical fermentor it's rated to around 50c it even warms with warm water. Something to keep in mind if shopping for one. No Boiling Water.

My bottles see the dish washer a lot. First they get a trip in the machine with the after dinner dishes and their initial swish to get the yeast out. If I don't fall asleep on the couch, I pull them out during the rinse cycle so any additives can get rinsed off before getting stored. They get another hot water rinse and soak in Star San before getting beer in them again. Everything else gets washed by hand making sure to not scratch any plastic tools or vessels,

Remember, "cleaning is what you do when you aren't brewing" and no Star San in the dish washer!

Back